Saturday, May 13, 2017

Still Playing In The Garden

Let me rephrase that.   I'm working as hard as my body will physically allow me to !  And, thankfully, it really is starting to show. The weeds have been what seems endless this year with all the rain this past winter. And, they keep growing. Some of them are three feet tall and still growing. The weather has been lovely for working outdoors. As usual, there always is a certain amount of outdoor maintenance around the house that needs attention. There are a few things that I can no longer do. And, that is quite frustrating for me.

This section of my garden has filled in nicely. And, I love it. The fig tree is starting to leaf out.
I have herbs planted throughout the garden and the Sage is blooming with a nice purple flowers.
Wow ! The roses are putting forth a wonderful showing for the first bloom. However, the aphids and black spot are presenting a challenge more so this year than in the past.

This beauty is Oklahoma Hybrid Tea Rose and the blossoms are huge this year.

Oh, a favorite of mine is the next rose because it is always healthy and it is a beautiful continuous bloomer. It is called Popcorn Drift Rose. It provides a nice backdrop for my Angel in the White Garden.
This is Elle, another delightful hybrid with a gentle soothing color of soft pink.
Old roses are such a favorite. This rose was in the garden when I moved here 23 years ago. It is rather surprising to me since there was very little planted here. It faithfully produces huge apricot colored flowers. I do not have any idea what the name is. But, that is fine with me. We don't need to know a name to admire beauty.
Everything is coming along nicely. However, my ground cover which I started years ago with a few seeds has suffered with the continuous drought that we had for years. Because of my back injury and disability I knew I would not be able to push a lawn mower, so I decided on a ground cover.
It is called Prunella Vulgaris and is a vigorous self seeder. Some people call it a weed !! I am sure you know the definition of "a weed" !
I have big plans to recreate the ground cover with adding some top soil and broadcasting seed that I was able to order online.
This photo will give you an idea of how the ground cover looked a few years ago.
Look - how vigorous it can grow !  Even through the chair seat ! Now, that looks healthy. Don't ya think?
Let me leave you with a fun photo from google images. Oh, how I miss my furbaby, Lily. There is such a big hole in my heart!
Wishing All of You a Wonderful Weekend and a Happy Mother's Day if that is part of your life. Not all of us are the Cleaver's, the archetypal suburban parents of the baby bloomer 1950's. Sometimes life feels like a "big trade off". But, most of us have many things to be very thankful for. It just may be different than "your neighbors". Perhaps, it is a good day to do something special for someone who is a little short on feeling special. I would call that a win - win.

Mary

3 comments:

  1. Mary, I just love all your roses.....my favorite is that old beautiful one that's been there since you moved in! You're so right, we dont need a name to enjoy its beauty. :) Ground cover is a very smart thing to do, and I love how vigorously it once grew. I'm sure with a little nurturing, you'll be able to get it back to its former glory. I so love reaping the benefits of time spent in the yard. Not only is it helpful spiritually and emotionally, but our eyes get to enjoy the beauty long after we've ended our endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As usual, your comments are so thoughtful and I appreciate your encouragement. Hope you are doing super good and enjoying life to the fullest. Blessings,

      Delete
  2. Your garden is lovely and I so enjoy the photos. Here's hoping all is well with you dear Mary. I miss your updates!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009