Saturday, November 10, 2018

Are There Really More Acorns

They just keep a' dropping and they are noisy too, especially when they hit anything that is metal or hard plastic .
And, I have raked barrels and barrels of leaves .  And, this has been going on for a few weeks now .  The oak leaves are one thing but every acorn is potentially another seedling and tree .  I have enough trees - thank you very much ! !
There are buckets and buckets of acorns and it can be difficult to clean them up without taking a lot of soil at the same time .  So, I figured a way to salvage the soil and soil amendments by using a tray that I have had for a long time . The tray has a screen at the bottom to sift out the good soil that can be returned to the garden.  It really doesn't take long  because the acorns settle to the ground beneath most of the leaves and I coop them up and shake the tray . I raised it up to a height that doesn't strain my back and it is easy to do .
This is what I see every morning from my front door
Most mornings I rake leaves !  With the beautiful weather it is nice to spend a little early time outdoors .
My little garden shed looks so cheerful with the red blooming geraniums .
The White Cyclamen is starting to bloom as it does every year .
The Fountain Grass plants that I planted a few weeks ago have grown nicely since this photo was taken .
Since I have some large clumps of Kniphofia (Red Hot Poker) in the yard I think I will transplant one plant between each Fountain Grass plant and a little higher on the slope .  As you know, the clay/rock is very difficult to plant anything in and I only was able to transplant one plant , so far .  But, I think I like the contrast of color and plant shape with the stately looking spikes next to the bronze Fountain Grass .  This year I have been able to add several 3 cubic bags of soil conditioner to the front gardens which should help a lot.  Hopefully in the spring, the Yellow Stella D'oro Daylilies will bloom that are planted along the front rock border .  At least that is my plan . We will wait and see .
And, the Purple Chrysanthemums in the front garden are looking very cheerful, healthy and full .  The Yellow Chrysanthemums bloomed earlier this year and every plant bloomed .
This photo was taken last year .  Maybe, next year the front garden will look finished and filled in to me !
I almost forgot to show you my Ornamental Pink Flowering Cabbage I recently planted along with some violas .  Won't they be pretty once they fill in and are larger ?
Let's end with this photo of this sweet Pink Penstemon that I planted in my garden years ago . It has bloomed every year and requires very little attention .  Not much more than me saying "thank you",
Precious Ivy sitting at my feet waiting for me to say "Good By" to you .
Until next time .  Hug your family, friends and pets !  And, remember to be Grateful .

Mary

3 comments:

  1. I have always loved your garden shed. Taking care of leaves in the autumn is a constant job. Even in our yard and we don't have any real trees! But our neighbor on the south side has several which drop endless leaves in our front courtyard and side yard. Your flowers are wonderful. Keep those garden photos coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden looks fabulous, along with your adorable little shed! I think that would be my little hide-a-way if it were mine! Lol! We have a large, 2 acre yard and have tended to the leaves twice so far. There is never a time when the yard is ever fully raked clean because, like Anita, we are downwind from neighbors who have lots of trees that dump lots of leaves! We also have wooded areas to the south and east of our home, and get leaves from all those trees as well. With my back having gotten worse over the last 1 1/2 years, I'm unable to do nearly as much as I used to, so I have to pick my battles or end up in pain and at the chiropractor too often for my liking! We've decided to let the last of the leaves lay where they are and not stress over the yard looking a little less tidy this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. We have 3 chestnut trees that seem just about as messy and a nuisance as your acorn trees! In years past I would rake up piles and piles of their prickly hulls but this year, I just can't. :(

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009