Saturday, June 24, 2017

Elephant Onion

Would you like to see some more of my garden? Let's do it. First, let me tell you how much I am enjoying all the bumblebees, hummingbirds, butterflies and birds that have been visiting me in my garden.
Now, what is this? It is a fun plant that I have told you about in the past. This is something that I picked up at a local farmer's market several years ago. It is called Egyptian Walking Onion. These perennials are interesting in that they produce clusters of reddish hazelnut-sized bulblets that form at the top of each seed stalk. The name 'walking onion' comes from the fact that if left untended, the onion stalks will bend down to the ground and take root all by themselves. The bulbs at the base of the plant can be used in cooking and the bulblets can be replanted.

Several weeks ago this is how it looked. You can see all the little new onions along side of the mother plant and the bulblets forming at the top of the stalks.
And now it is showing it's artistic and entertaining curly tops loaded with new bulblets!
 Isn't nature wonderful?  It's just another fun conversation piece. Kind of like my curly Dragon Lady plant in the next photo that I have previously blogged about !

Well Now - - - After eight consecutive days with temperatures over three digits I am very hopeful that cooler temperatures will prevail.
It is hard on the garden when the weather gets this hot. I have had to cover my gladiolas with shade cloth because the new blooms were shrivelling from the heat on the tender new growth. I hope they survive!

It's been a lot easier to keep up with blogging when it is too hot to be in the garden. Priorities - priorities!

Please stay cool and well and enjoy the weekend. OK.

Mary

1 comment:

  1. I have heard of those onions, but haven't seen them in a long time. I've heard of that heat you're having. It must be unbearable as it isn't usually that hot there. Our summers are always hot, except this one. Not yet anyway.

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009