Monday, January 1, 2018

I Welcome A New Year

However, I don't know why I feel many strong emotions today.  For one thing, I feel very tired and that possibly could be my body reacting to how hard I am trying to deal with my pain. Earlier today I watched the New Years Day Rose Parade and that always causes a flood of emotions.  I was going to blog all about that but that is not going to happen.  But, I will make a brief list of things I have been thinking about.
  • In my youth I worked several years on the parade floats applying flowers.
  • I lived in that city sharing an apartment with two girls.
  • I had a regular boyfriend and ate at Bob's Big Boy more times than I can count. The days of popular "Car Service".
  • I went to Nursing School in that city .
  • I worked several places supporting myself while going to school.
  • I graduated in the Pasadena Rose Bowl Stadium as a candidate for licensure as a Registered Nurse. 
  •  I Passed State Boards as a Registered Nurse at age 19 in 1959.   There were five categories of subject matter tested, Medical - Surgical - Obstetrics - Pediatrics - Psychiatrics.
The Nurses in Uniform and Red/Blue Nursing Capes and White Nursing Cap walked at the front.  Oh, and White Stockings, also !      I believe there were 46 of us who were able to complete all the requirements.  That was about half the number who started.
It was very very hard work.  Especially, supporting myself at the same time as schooling.  My two roommates were fully funded by their parents.  And, let me tell you, it was a huge feeling of accomplishment.  Yes, I still have my Wool Cape.  I don't really know why, but I do!

Some day I may blog about how I happened to go into Nurses Training.  It was not the story of the little girl who always wanted to be a Nurse!

Hope your Day has been Fabulous and if you are in the COLD STATES, please be safe !!!

Mary

1 comment:

  1. I love the photo of you in your cape and cap. I so wish nurses still wore white! Happy New Year to you and here's to a great 2018!

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009