Thursday, July 23, 2015

Can There Be Too Much Water

You bet there can be! And, especially when there is a drought, having too much water in the wrong place is not - not good.


For days I had water pooling on the surface of the ground cover (Freelander Blue Prunella) near my White Garden. So, I started digging and sure enough the water line from the meter to the house was having a gay ol' time shooting water.

The water line was placed when the house was built in 1973. Back then - yes, back then, they used a Polybutylene piping in new construction. It was a low-cost piping formed of plastic resin and was a substitute for copper piping in both underground water mains and interior plumbing. It has been discovered that as poly pipe ages and reacts with water-soluble oxidants, it begins to degrade and can leak and cause damage.

Polpbutylene piping is no longer used. It was recommended that I have the line from the meter replaced. I think NOT. Thank you very much! But, the repair is going to do quite nicely. It so happens that several years ago when I had a small numbers of sprinklers installed they nicked the water line in that exact site and had repaired it. See that huge rock below the water line. That is what my entire property is like. Gardening is oh so much fun when I want to do planting! It usually takes removal of about a five gallon bucket of rock in order to plant a one-gallon container plant. And, as you can see, many of the rocks are what I call "NON-NEGOTIABLE".

It is a good thing that I enjoy the outdoors. I have had over twenty years to sit and dig holes with an array of hand tools negotiating with rocks to let me in. I have to stay away from long handled pry bars because of my back. Where there is a will, there is a way.

I like to joke about being MS GOTROCKS. However, I ain't got money but I sure got ROCKS!  

       Just a little trivia - in case you are younger than me, most are.  Ms Gotrocks is a person who acts like they have a lot of money to spend and flaunts it.


Mary

2 comments:

  1. I like your new blog. I just came for a visit for the first time when I saw your comment on The Vintage Bag Lady, wondering if she is OK. I too went there to post the same sentiment as hadn't seen her on her blog since her Yellowstone post in June. So I thought I'd cover over to your place for a little visit. I've looked at all 3... I like your new one and your stories of "life".. I too am almost in my seventh decade! My blog may have a different turn also in the coming months, as we are hoping to buy (once again) a home of our own - tiny though it will be. I may comment on some of your other posts too, if something pops into my head! Marilyn P.S. Northern California is SO beautiful. I haven't been there in years and want to go back again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marilyn, Thank you for stopping by. Your comment made me feel so good and motivates me to blog more. I think Oregon is a beautiful state. My brother lived in Portland and I have driven up to different parts of Oregon a few times. I think Karen is posting on her Facebook page. Have a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009