Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Sad And Serious - California Drought

This is the Paarrots Ferry bridge that I have to drive over every time I need to go to the stores where I do shopping other than grocery shopping. It is about a 30 minute drive to the stores. This photo was taken June 29 of this year by an acquaintance of mine as she was taking a morning walk for the purpose of seeing the water level. It is so difficult to see how devastated this area is looking as well as so much of California.



In 1993 when I moved to this area in the Sierra-Nevada Foothills this area was so beautiful - - - and still is. But, it is certainly different! I like Green a lot more than Brown! ! ! 


Look how HIGH the water level was in 2005. Photo from Internet Images.


And, another beautiful photo from 2008! Again from Internet Images.


This is the Old Melones Bridge which has never been this visible since the Melones Reservoir and Paarrots Ferry Bridge were built in approximately 1979.   And, that includes the year of 1992 when California experienced a severe drought whereby the base of the piers of the new bridge were visible.








Let's Pray for Rain as well as for The Earth and all the people who are seriously affected by all the ramifications the lack of water presents!.

Mary

2 comments:

  1. The drought is so scary. I remember visiting Dunsmuir, Mt. Shasta and Lake Shasta back in the 70's and the lake was so beautiful.. then a few years later, went again (probably in the early 80's) and it was way low. Even here in Oregon, the last time I travelled over the Cascades to the Willamette Valley, one of the lakes/reservoirs was totally dry! only a tiny trickle of water through the middle. I have never in my life seen it like that! it's sad and scary. We didn't have much snow here either this last winter in central Oregon, so things are really dry here this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marilyn, Thanks for your comment. I find it quite depressing to see so many of the homes around me and everywhere I look with dry/dead landscaping. Of course there are many other reasons to be concerned but the nearby homes are a constant reminder. Pray for rain - maybe, a rain dance! Mary

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009