Saturday, February 8, 2020

Precious Friends From High School Days

It is over 10 years now that a friend from high school succeeded in looking me up and found me through the Internet . As many of you know , my high school days were not the most enjoyable for me because of the severe restrictions and control by my parents . I was not allowed to attend school dances , could not curl my hair - - - -  and the list goes on and on of all the many activities I was not allowed to participate in .  The activities were mostly associated with fun and social activities that aided in developing maturity . It really is not funny but I have been known to say "I never had the opportunity to learn how to play well with others ".  But , eventually I did !!!  Thank goodness those were the days when human beings treated each other with kindness and not bullying or life threats .  I guess it could be said that we were in a blissful state of peaceful coexistence with one another - for the most part - compared with today .  My situation was one of just feeling terribly alone and perhaps feeling unloved and confused!

But, there was one student who sat next to me in Physiology class that became a friend .  We were the same age by a few months . She too was not involved in many school activities but it was by choice, not because of harsh parental control .  Our friendship flourished to the  point that when we were young marrieds we would socialize and following becoming parents we were known to have dinner at one of another's home and after "putting the kids down" and "cleaning up the kitchen" we would play cards .  Those were the simpler days !

Let's move forward .  About the time that my friend found me in about 2010, I had started to see a new widower friend that I had met at church .  I had been divorced since 1969 and certainly not interested in a marriage .  Just a friendship, PLEASE !  In the photo below , I am on the right side and he is behind me . My friend who had been having many medical issues for a long time is on the left with her husband of almost sixty years  behind her . 

They lived in New York and I was in Michigan with my gentleman friend at a family reunion of his. It was so delightful that we were able to arrange to meet midway and spend a wonderful weekend together in Canada on our way home to California .  Yes and they drove back to New York .  Photo taken in hotel lobby .


Her husband passed away (cancer) in 2018 at the age of 79 .  

And, my Special Friend passed away (cancer) in 2014 at the age of 86 . Yes , he was a young looking man for his age !

My friend and I have become so close that we feel like sisters and talk on the phone every day !  It is a real blessing !!! Sadly , she has many , many medical issues and been near death many times .  But, she has been exhibiting a lot of spunk and determination in staying around longer !!!

She is now living in a Care Facility that is exceptionally nice .  And, she has one son (age 60) who has always been a loving protective gentleman of both of his parents .

My friend enjoying Mothers Day this past year . 
And , the photo on the right is a few months later showing off her new motorized wheelchair that I was able to purchase for her .  That was such a happy day for me , that I could share some of my God given resources of late .  The wheel chair has given her so much more ability to get around independently . And, I understand that she is a pretty good driver with only one speeding ticket !!! 🔆

And , here she is showing her Great Grandson the controls on her wheelchair while at a special holiday event this past December.
Now, we are both 8o years old !             Doesn't she look lovely ?

Mary

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely story about your long time friend. I had to laugh about her only having one speeding ticket in your generous gift. And what a great picture of you and your special man!!

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009