Monday, February 13, 2017

Stunning Oroville Dam Breach

This disaster is in an area 150 miles northeast of San Francisco that I have some familiar knowledge about. In my earlier life during the late 1960's my husband and I spent some time in Oroville and he interviewed for a position with the county. We were considering moving from Southern California. At that time the area which is in the Sierra Nevada Foothills seemed very rural especially in comparison with where we would have been moving from. I recall that the Dam was near completion and was finished in 1968.


Facebook
 

Residents Forced From Homes in California Flooding Emergency.            These newspaper photos are horrendous, aren't they?

 

Mandatory evacuations remained in effect Monday afternoon for nearly 190,000 people in Northern California after a spillway serving the country's tallest dam developed a hole that threatened to release uncontrolled floodwaters, officials said.

The emergency spillway off the Oroville Dam was the second to fail in a matter of days, after the dam's primary spillway developed a 200-foot-long, 30-foot-deep hole last week.

Officials and contractors were working feverishly to get as much water out of Lake Oroville as possible by Thursday, when another round of storms is expected to sweep across the area.

My heart goes out to all those effected by this terrible situation. Let's all send lots of positive energy and prayers their way.

With all the inclement weather conditions across the nation be sure to stay warm, safe and healthy.

Mary

1 comment:

  1. I've been watching that on tv. Terrible damage if it goes.

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009