Saturday, November 2, 2019

It's Been A Week

And, what a week it has been !!!  Not one that I would ever want to repeat !!!  But, now it is time to get caught up with all of you .  Periodically ,  I have started to post and then I would get distracted by my own thoughts or something external .  That's the way it has been going .  So I will include those snippets in this post that I was trying to send you .

TUESDAY - Power back ON About One Hour Ago At 2:30 PM and will go off again in one hour .  It has been a very rough time for me since the power was turned off  Saturday evening .  Other than trying to find something healthy to eat , the biggest challenge was trying to stay warm in a house that persisted on staying about 51 degrees .  I found myself putting on more and more clothes and periodically crawling under the covers with hopes of going to sleep for awhile in the middle of the day .

On Sunday morning I was awakened by thunderous noise of fiercely blowing winds that even caused the house to give a slight squeaking noise . The wind was blowing so vigorously ,  like I have never seen nor heard before and estimated to be 50 to 60 miles per hour ! And, the wind persisted throughout the day . Along with the wind came tree branches , leaves , leaves and more leaves and pine needles and the ground surfaces were covered with a blanket of mess !

The On and Off of power is such an unknown and a very fluid schedule .  Because a tree on the next street over fell and hit the nearby power pole we were without power a half a day longer .  It can be very exasperating when there is no way to find out what is going on other than the old fashioned "grape vine" !  But, you have to leave the house to get information in that way .  When they say the power is going to be turned Off , that means that every service we are accustomed to having other than water . But , that means only COLD water , no HOT water !

THURSDAY - yesterday was quite a remarkable day .  About 11:30 AM I decided that I needed to get out of the house and find a place to get a cup of hot coffee .  So, I was raking enough of the driveway so I could drive out .  And, while I was raking a lady was walking by and started talking to me . I mentioned that I was on my way to find some hot coffee . She said she was from the shop at the corner of main street that is a sporting goods shop that sells outdoor gear for outdoor adventures . I knew about the store , of course .  Anyway, she was telling me about a product that they have for making hot water/ coffee AND that she would bring me one tomorrow morning ! And, then I drove down to main street to find some hot coffee .  And , I heard that some places on main street had power and we did not because of the fallen tree nearby .  So I stopped at a restaurant that looked like it was open.  They had hot coffee and ALSO were serving a small menu .  The stores on either side of them did not have power .  I had the very best hamburger and hot coffee with cream !!  They treated me wonderfully and it was a great heart warming experience !!  I felt like two angels came into my somewhat overwhelming life and brought me joy, comfort and caring .   LIFE IS GOOD .

The generator will hopefully be installed soon . A neighbor offered to help me set it up as portable with outdoor cords, but I have not had the wherewithal to be a part of installing it .  The electrician is scheduled to come and provide an estimate .

My doctor appointment has to be rescheduled with the oncologist because the hospital did not have power except for urgent issues .

When we would be able to receive info from PG&E it would look similar to this - - - San Francisco, CA - - - Due to a widespread dry, offshore wind event on Tuesday, Oct. 29, through midday Wednesday, Oct. 30, Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) confirmed today that it is in the process of implementing a Public Safety Power Shutoff (PSPS) to approximately 597,000 customers in Northern and Southern Sierra, North Bay, Bay Area, Santa Cruz mountains, North Coast and Kern County. As of 1 p.m., approximately 500,000 customers are without electric service as a result of PSPS.

TODAY - it is wonderful to have Power.  I haven't been able to keep track in my mind what days I have or have not had power!  There are still fires burning especially in Southern California but the weather conditions have improved statewide, however, that could change in an instant .

The Chrysanthemums in the front yard are blooming beautifully similar to this photo that I took last year .
I have started to clean up from the wind storms .  I have filled 20 trash barrels - yes 20 !

It is a beautiful day and I am very tired and hopeful that I will feel more rested in the near future .

Value each and every day as if it could be the last .

Mary

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I found your blog a week or so ago and enjoy it so much. Glad you are holding up in spite of no power, and admire your pleasant outlook on things, I liked seeing pics of your kitty wondering what's going on with her catio!
    I'm at the other end of the decade, a "child" of 71!!! And have 2 cats & love gardening. Hoping the power problem ends soon - Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So lovely of you to stop by Marilyn. I would enjoy seeing photos of your garden. Aren't kitty/cats fun? While making some Broccoli Cheese Soup this AM, Ivy was checking out the inside of a cupboard near the stove. Take Care and Blessings to You.

      Delete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009