Tuesday, August 16, 2022

A Light Bulb Went Off

A few days ago I was thinking about all that dry brown dirt where the ground cover had been.  It never occurred to me until now that I may have an answer.  And it is from past experience many years ago!  When I was in my twenties and we were landscaping the garden of our newly constructed house we used Dichondra as a lawn.  Oh, how I wish I could remember the details surrounding that decision. But I can't. It may have been that it was popular at that time and it did not have to be mowed if you did not want to.


Dichondra (Dichondra repens) is a perennial groundcover plant (in USDA zones 7-11) that has a somewhat upright, creeping habit with circular leaves. It is not usually over 2 inches (5 cm.) in height and retains its bright green color in temperatures as low as 25 degrees F. (-3 C.). When this groundcover becomes full, it appears as a dense, carpet-like grass and is often planted in places where other turf-type grass does not grow well.

This is quite exciting to me. I think I will see if the local nursery can order a flat or two.  If I recall, I think I have seen it near flats of other lawn grasses.  I will be able to wait until our temperatures drop to the 70,s to get it started if I want to plant with seeds!  I think that will be my choice.  And, of course it is less expensive if using seeds. 


And, it has a higher (USDA) planting zone of 7-11.  That if better than 9 for Prunella.  Less trouble with freezing temperatures.  Additionally, my current soil base is going to be alright for this project.


Wish me luck.  I'll keep you posted on the process.

Mary

1 comment:

  1. I have not heard of this ground cover before. Seems like just the ticket! Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009