Friday, August 12, 2022

Maybe One Of You Can Help

How did my ground cover - Prunella Vulgaris - which is a perennial herbaceous plant that blooms June through September - go from this - - - - - - - - - 


To this over the winter?  It's gone!  All of the Prunella is gone!!!!

 
I have been growing this ground cover for many many years working at getting it to cover the common areas on the one side of the house. I have saved seeds every year and used them to cast out seed!  And, it self seeds very well and can even become invasive!  It looks like someone scraped every plant out except for a tiny bit here and there up close to the rock border.

Throughout the years there have been many years when we have some snow in the winter and occasionally some frost. Could it really be that one night of freezing weather has robbed me of all of the ground cover that I have nurtured all these years?  During this past winter I was not well and I was not outside in the garden to notice any change..

Any ideas for an alternative plant?  I have always used a ground cover since I can not use a lawn mower!  This is an informative website about Prunella. https://www.thegardenhelper.com/prunella.html. 

If you have any thoughts on this issue please let me know in the comments.

Thanks 

Mary

1 comment:

  1. No real helpful comment other than do you have a problem with ground squirrels or gophers? From the pictures it does not look like this is the issue, but who knows? Maybe things will come back in the spring. Keep us posted please!!

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009