Friday, September 11, 2015

One Hundred Degree Weather With Fires And Evacuation

I just came indoors from taking this photo and it is one o'clock, midday and this is what the sky looks like with a terrorized looking sun that is veiled in a very nasty fire and ash filled sky! In the last 24 hours I am experiencing a first in my life that has filled me with a wide spectrum of emotions.


As I alluded to a couple days ago, a large forest fire approximately 25 miles north-west from here started Wednesday afternoon on September 9, growing from 100 acres to nearly 15,000 acres in 24 hours. The fire doubled again the next 24 hours to nearly 32,000 acres. According to CAL-Fire "Fire behavior remained extreme throughout the night with rapid uncontrolled fire growth to the south and west. Suppression efforts had minimal impacts due to a high focus on structure defense. Hot and dry weather, steep topography and fuel moisture at critical low levels have resulted in extreme fire spread. Evacuation warnings have been issued for additional threatened area and more are expected." 

Last evening, when I let the dog outside I noticed a sky that was very reddish wherever I looked and the wind was blowing AND the sky was dropping grey ash and flakes.  I guess this is more than a flakes. When I first saw it I thought it was a piece of black trash bag. It is about three inches across. 
At the moment the sky is completely reddish to the point that it looks like red lights are on in the house! The photo does not show the red as much as it really is. Obviously, the air quality is terrible. This morning while I was sitting near an open window the wind was blowing and there was ash coming in through the screens.Yes, I closed the window!
A few more photos. Look at my car windshield!
Many of my friends have had to evacuate. Oh, how scary that must feel. All activities at my church are cancelled except service in the morning. The after church activities have also been cancelled.
Our church is very involved with helping ALL People especially with talking, meals and many other activities like directing them to available resources

My emotions are not really fear but tremendous concern for ALL that are associated with this serious disaster. Living alone does create it's own unique concerns.

Television has just reported the fire is now consuming 50,000 acres. This is very shocking. The entire town (2,700 pop.) of San Andreas that is the government center has mandatory evacuation. As I type this evacuation is recommended for the one side of the highway where I go to the grocery store!!!!!!!
I am very glad that I live in town instead of way out in the country. I hope I am safe!
Sorry, no proof reading today!

That's it!

Mary

1 comment:

  1. We've had many fires near us too and friends up in SE Washington were on Evacuation 2 status for about 2 weeks. Very very scary... and so many of our wonderful beautiful forests lost... and I pray every day for the brave fire fighters trying to keep us safe. Get ready to evacuate.. you might have too.. so pack your most precious things and be ready to go. This hot windy weather is not helping and I'm so sad that so much wildlife has been lost (as well as fire fighters up in Washington State). We must all say our prayers diligently. Hope you will remain safe as will your little piece of heaven.

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009