Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Thunderstorms, Weeds And Monarch Butterflies

It seems that every few days we have heavy rains, lightning and thunderstorms. Sometimes it is just for a few hours and then sometimes it is longer.
Last Friday the rain came down so hard it was like sheets of water coming off the roof. And, then there was so much hail that it almost looked like snow because the ground was so white. That storm was just before my tall white iris were just beginning to open. The elements were so heavy that the spires of white flowers were leaning over. Thankfully, they were not broken and I was able to tie them back up.

Even though the many fresh blooming flowers take a bit of a beating with the rains it is so wonderful to have the water. And, the garden is flourishing and quite lovely like I have not seen in years.






Lady Bank's Climbing Rose

And then, even without the rain my garden has more weeds than anytime in the past. I only have "so much energy and ability" to do what I do. It's been a very long time since I have used a Weed Trimmer. But, that is what is going to happen soon. I found that I still have a trimmer in my garden shed and it works but needed new replacement plastic cord. I ordered new cord and as soon as I can, I will be trimming.
I can hardly believe how tall the weeds have grown!
My ever faithful blooming Perennial Wallflower Erysimum 'Bowles' Mauve always shows up for the party regardless of who is in attendance! Remember, A weed is in fact merely a plant growing where we do not want it. ~ E.J. Salisbury, The Living Garden, 1935.


On Saturday I went "Out and About" to the Calaveras Master Gardeners' Open Garden Day to hear a presentation on "Saving The Monarchs".
Not long after I moved to the country I took the course in 1995 to become a Master Gardener. I think it is an excellent Program and it taught me so much to help me in my love of gardening.
The program on Saturday was very informative. The Master Gardeners have a very large and beautiful Demonstration Garden that the volunteers have developed in the last few years. In addition, they sell plants once a month and the highest priced plant is $3.50 ~ starting at 50 cents each.
The Monarch Butterflies have declined 90 percent in the last 20 years and it is very important to rebuild their population. Some of the reasons for the decline may be loss of milkweed plant which is needed for the monarch caterpillars to grow,  drought conditions, insecticide and herbicide use, adverse land management and illegal logging. Dragonflies, native bees, and many other beneficial insects are also facing serious challenges. Plant pollination and pest control provided by butterflies is a very important aspect of our Ecosystem.



The garden has a lovely wrought iron entrance but I did not get a photo. When I arrived there were some people that I knew from years ago and I got side-tracked.
 The two black spots on each side of the body are identifying marks of the Monarch Butterfly.
After the program I found a little restaurant called Country Bagel where I had lunch in a very nice setting. I did not take my camera in and I wish I had so I could show you what a cute place it was.

I am so happy to say that I have been feeling better than I have for a long time even with all the pain issues. So much of pain management is in the head. And, the sun has been shinning most days which sure helps me.

Wishing you Beautiful Spring Days.

Mary

2 comments:

  1. I have also taken Master Gardener classes and found them to be a source of lots of good information. We are avid Monarch butterfly lovers and have 3 milkweed bushes in pots in our backyard. We hover over each "Stripy" has we call the caterpillars, watching them devour the leaves and then make their plumb little way to find the best spot to chrysalis. So far this year we have had 19 successful butterflies. And the miracle of nature-just as the butterflies emerge, the milkweeds are full of leaves again for the new generation.

    I am so pleased you are feeling better and able to get out and about. Your yard looks lovely, even after the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great pictures of your interesting excursion to the Master Gardeners' presentation! I always hate getting out, but once I do, I feel so much better, and realize just how good it is to get involved and interact with other people. Socialization is a very healthy thing, and it's wonderful to hear that you're feeling better than you have in a long time!! Love reading your posts and learning of all that's going on in your world. Wishing you much health and happiness!

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009