Saturday, April 16, 2016

The Sky Is Falling

WELL, Not quite - but that may be next. For the last few weeks, no make that months, numerous things around my house have decided that they have fulfilled their duties and have simply refused to work any longer. (I would like to try that - Yes, I'll have some lemonade, please!) Anyway, this phenomenon started rather slowly but with rather large expensive characters.  I tried to explain that my budget has strict perimeters and everyone must behave. But, that was to no avail!

It must be over six months ago - yes, that long ago, that the over-the-stove microwave started talking back at me. Well, that was short lived and it simply quit. Gee, thanks! Shortly thereafter the garbage disposal presented me with lots of water running on my shoes at the front of the sink. Oh, that's just great. Well, really, it had served me well and the bottom was totally rusted out. OK, these are two pretty big items to hassle with. But, in my typical fashion I proceeded to start researching models and price in preparation to purchase. The items arrived quickly but installation is almost a bigger problem for me than finding a way to purchase.  I had a handyman's name but by the time I got in the mode to call him, he had moved.


My life has changed so drastically in the recent past that I feel like I am living my life with Training Wheels. So many people that I knew are no longer around and I have not attended church in a very long time.  In my opinion the church experience has changed dramatically in all respects and no longer brings me the comfort of the past. Lovingly, the pastor is always available for me. Tears are my constant companion always perched so close to rolling downward. And, I terribly miss My Special Man and especially my Precious Lily and also some very close Gal Friends. And, the topic of family MAY be a post some day soon. It "ain't pretty".  

Alright now, I have learned to be a champion of my own little abode fixing things as the need arises by reading, asking questions and using Google. However, as my physical health (oh, probably, mental too) has deteriorated I really, really, really really, really want to have the luxury of calling a professional. I would sure like to try a life where all I would have to do is delegate! 


About six weeks ago, the dishwasher that has never given me a second of trouble started to leave the dishes unclean and I started to think, oh NOT that too. After some research I learned that the garbage disposal may be the issue associated with the plumbing network under the sink and interfering with the performance of the dishwasher.  Soooooo, after some more research I decided that I would (Yes, ME) install the garbage disposal myself! The new one is the same brand and model, so I thought that should make the job a little easier. Well, I am proud to say that I now have a nice functioning garbage disposal - and - dishwasher. Boy oh boy, I must be more tenacious than I realized. That was one of the hardest (they are heavy) and complicated (under the sink) repairs/installations that I have ever done. I will spare you the details.

That was just the beginning! Let me make a little list for you of the "annoyances" I have to address.
  • The oven is not working (as I have posted previously) but I have removed the temperature sensor and have a new one on order. Yes, I have learned how to use my multimeter!!!!
  • The battery died in the smoke alarm.
  • My sonicare toothbrush died. $$$
  • My car is sitting in the driveway with a dead battery. After 3 visits from AAA I have an appointment Monday for new battery installation. $$$
  • Last (I hope) but not least, The pilot light on the propane stove/heater in the living room went out suddenly and will need professional maintenance. $$$ I know when it is time to call in the "big guns".
I really MUST find a helper. The roof is full of leaves and pine needles and I "no longer belong on the roof"! Do I? After all, I am closer to 80 than 70 these days. How did that happen?

That's a whole lot of stuff and money, don't you think? One very good thing is that I have been enjoying my garden that is bringing forth lush new green growth along with a fig tree that is already loaded with small figs and lots of color bursting out everywhere. Oh, and along with lots of weeds. However, I am not letting them get me down and I continue to enjoy the garden areas that I have been able to work on. I will leave you with a little mosaic photo of a little of the garden that I took about ten days ago. As you can imagine, it changes vastly every single day! Enjoy!
Wishing you a joyous weekend. I will blog when I can but it probably will be closer to weekly, so my energy and time can be outside in the sunshine and garden!

Mary

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear of all that has decided to up and quit on you! And for the lack of the presence and love of family....Such a shame, and I'm truly sorry you've experienced hurt and unhappiness because of it. Congratulations of the installation of your new garbage disposal!! Bet you feel so glad to know YOU did it, and, despite its complications, you've still got it in you to manage what you have to when no one else is willing to step up to the plate and be of help to you!! Your garden looks lovely and peaceful......I know I find being outdoors working in my flower beds is one of the most rewarding and therapeutic times for me! Keep up the good work, Mary!! :)

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009