Thursday, September 15, 2016

How Do You Get Your Exercise

For many weeks I have been working very hard on the front of my property with hopes of having beautiful iris as well as some new plants and color to enjoy next spring. This is the section that I showed previously that was filled with weeds because gardening was NOT on my list of things to do when I was trying to survive through many loses in my life.  This is a very long post!


In all the years that I have lived here my garden has never looked like this! HORRORS! Weeds - Weeds - Weeds!


Let the work begin. All of this is done with me sitting and using hand tools and chopping away on miserable clay bedrock ground. Can't really call it soil.


This is the other side of the pathway where I have already weeded but left the Iris Bulbs that will be lifted, trimmed and cleaned in preparation for planting in freshly prepared garden soil.

Also, there are a few chrysanthemums (purple) that have barely hung on. Their roots were only about one inch and dry even though I have watered almost every day. There is very little drainage. It is horrible.  I removed them and put them in a big bucket with water. Now look at how they are growing. 



There are still a few more Iris for me to remove as well as a few Stella D'oro Daylilies that I had as a border all around the iris bed



This large bucket is almost full with iris. At least 30 different colors with some re bloomers. I expect it will be fun to see how the colors show up  since I have no idea what the names are until I see the bloom. I have a record and photos of all of them. I can't wait to see them, hopefully next summer.

ROCK ROCK ROCK.       It's EVERYWHERE!


But, I will say that I have a lot of fun building dry rock walls like in Europe.



On the other side of the pathway I will be planting the Gomphrena Fireworks plants that I bought mail order back in April. They have been growing crazy. I just trimmed them back. I hope they turn out as I envision they will.


Just a little reminder of the plants from April.




So, if by chance you have wondered why my blogging has been very minimal now you know why. It is very exhausting and I can only work for about 2 to 3 hours a day.


I envision a beautiful riot of color next year!

Until next time.

Mary

2 comments:

  1. My goodness-you have been one busy lady. The garden looks lovely and will only get better and better. Remember to take some special time to enjoy the fruits of your labors by sitting in the shade with a favorite beverage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anita. It is truly a labor of love and the outdoors seems to be my best therapy. I do not look forward to the shorter days. But, perhaps the crochet hooks and knitting needles will get my attention. Blessings.

      Delete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009