Sunday, October 9, 2016

I Did It

Over two hundred Iris rhizomes have been planted. And, it was no easy feat for me! I guess the word tenacious comes to mind.
Or, maybe the word is Stupid!
No, really, I am so happy I was able to accomplish what I had set out to do. I finished planting on Saturday afternoon. Even though many of the rhizomes are quite small, they are already looking like they are taking hold and looking healthy. They may not produce a lot of flowers the first year but we just have to wait and see. 

On the other hand, they may surprise us especially since they are planted in a good foundation of new garden soil mixed together with planting mix. 

The temperature today was in the mid 80's and will help them get a good start.

The Yellow Chrysanthemums are looking great. So very cheerful!



Yes, I sure have handled a lot of rock in the past several days. 

You may wonder why my property has so much rock. One reason is that my property is the first parcel outside of what is called Murphys township which means the old historic buildings from the Gold Rush days. The house next door to me toward town was built in the 1800's. And the land was bulldozed to build my house. On the other side of my street there sits a house higher on the side of the hill.

Interesting, there are a couple spots on my property that were probably mine shafts. Years ago I noticed that one area where I was planting would continually loose all the soil. It was like it was just disappearing! So, it was time for me to take a better look at what may be going on. Sure enough, when using a large flashlight I could see down the hole that it went what seemed forever. So, I started throwing rock down the shaft. And, now, many years later the soil is no longer disappearing!

The large rock boulders that surround my property are the result of the massive bulldozing. The gold miners were mining for the veins and reefs of gold-bearing quartz which often were in granite. Without a doubt there is gold on my property from what I am told. I have many large beautiful rocks that would be fun to examine!

With everything going on in our National News it has been so nice spending a lot of time in my garden.

IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

I hope you had a Wonderful Weekend.

Mary

2 comments:

  1. All that work has resulted in a beautiful garden. And it will only get better and better! The story about mining on your property is so interesting. Maybe you will dig up the Mother Lode while weeding! If you do-remember your friends!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita, without a doubt I would remember my friends! Wouldn't that be nice? I have some friends that I met in Master Gardener classes when I first moved up here that have taken prospecting for gold very seriously. And delightfully, they have an impressive large collection that necessitates offsite "secure storage". It is true that "There is Gold in them thare Hills"! But, of course it is nothing like "The Gold Rush" days of the 1800's. But, I guess it can be a profitable hobby is you like to do extensive exploration and hard work.

      Delete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009