Thursday, August 24, 2017

Seems Like It Happened Overnight

THE FIGS ARE TURNING PURPLE !
AND ,  THE TREE IS LOADED!
This year it looks like I will have enough to make a few jars of Fig Jam.   How nice that will be.
I've been noticing fig recipes lately from bloggers that sound really good.  I especially like the appetizers with feta cheese and honey.  There are so many ways to be creative with this interesting and tasty fruit.  Last year I prepared a Chicken recipe with figs and I plan to repeat it again this year.
This exceptionally large fig leaf with fascinating sun shadows captured my attention.  And, of course some infant figs tagging along.

Fig Trivia - The fig is a false fruit or multiple fruit, in which the flowers and seeds grow together to form a single mass.    It is a fruit without a visible flower - not like a tomato.


Also, very surprising to me ,  I have some nice looking Tomatoes that I anticipate being very tasty when they fully ripen!



Looking healthy , so far.   No sign of annoying Hornworm Tomato Caterpillars. The plants are in a raised bed and that may help.  At least it helps to inspect them daily since they are elevated. 

I have been quite surprised that the tomatoes are growing so nicely since the raised bed is a lot more shady than years past because of all the trees growing so tall.  Years ago,  I was able to grow huge amounts of tomatoes when there was more sun exposure.   At the time I had a large piece of trellis leaning against the redwood planter and my Cavalier Doggie , Lily would climb up the trellis to eat the Cherry Tomatoes that were planted especially for her ! ! !    OH, how I miss Lily - as much as I did the first day without her.   And, I sure miss My Special Man.

I am enjoying  the more comfortable weather .  Hope your weather in  your neck of the woods is pleasing you .

Mary

1 comment:

  1. My previous home wad 6 old fig trees from Italy. Plentyful of figs but the birds would eat them faster than we could pick them. Heres another fig fact: There are female and male trees. The leaves are different and you also have to have one of each to create a new tree.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009