Sunday, May 6, 2018

And This Is Just The Beginning

Last fall I worked very hard refurbishing the front flower bed where a vast number of Iris were planted by me around 2008 .  They were overcrowded and very nutrient poor by 2017. 

Originally, they were super fantastic with breathtaking beauty . Yes I have posted this photo (one of most favorite) many times, because it thrills me so.  Do you see my precious Cavalier Love Dog-Lily hiding in "my garden"?
The pile of Iris rhizomes in the first photo were planted again in much improved soil and the next photo was taken a couple weeks ago. They were planted with no regard for color because I had no idea what color I was selecting from the pile of rhizomes. 
The next photos are just the beginning of what is to come.  The photos were taken this morning.  What a delight it is to watch and see what the next color will be as they open.  I have names on all the tags from years ago and I want to identify each flower as it opens. A task that is very time intensive !





My fascination with Bearded Iris originated when I was living in the Santa Clara Valley, California before moving here 25 years ago.  A few blocks from my home there was a commercial Iris business called Maryott's Iris Garden.  It was the highlight of the neighborhood and it seemed like you could look as far as the eye could see and all you saw was Iris flowers in every color imaginable.  Many of my iris come from Maryott's when they would have a yearly Iris Open House Sale.

Unfortunately, the land has been converted to million-dollar-plus residential homes. At least, I have my beautiful memories of standing in the Iris Fields, soaking up the luscious colors and natures abundant  grandeur !!!

If you enjoy gardening, I hope your weather is cooperating with your gardening wishes !

Mary

1 comment:

  1. Your Iris are beautiful. I especially like the peach colored one. I have a passion for orange colors in my flowers. As Steve says-I need to step away from the orange!

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009