Saturday, October 13, 2018

Into The Oven It Goes

With a refrigerator and pantry filled with yummy ingredients for some cooking and baking I have to start cooking today so my fresh food does not "Go Bad On Me".  So, this nostalgic Bean Pot is the first recipe I prepared .  The recipe is from a cookbook that I worked on as a Fundraiser when I was an Active Master Gardener in 1996.  I was asked to be the editor which turned into a much larger job then just editing. 
Many of my recipes are in the book as well as many, many, many other Master Gardener's recipes .  It was a lot of "Blood, Sweat and Tears" but it turned out great and was a BIG fundraiser .
My Master Gardener friend who asked me to work on the cookbook is an Artist and the book is quite lovely with her beautiful professional art contributions .  Many long hours were spent getting it ready to go to press, mostly by the two of us .  Thankfully, we had lots of help when the time came for assembly of the cookbook .
This is the cover and each chapter has a great illustration along with many little illustrations throughout the book .  I wish you could see it .  I have often thought about blogging about the project and I will try to do that.  I already have a lot of photos to show you -  that will give you an idea of the magnitude of the project .
And, this next photo is of the Big Bean Pot as it came out of the oven .
Through the years I had made this more times than I can count .  And, I always get a hunger for it when the season turns to Autumn and the cooler days are upon us .

Next, I prepared a new recipe to me .  It is quick to make and is called Bacon and Mushroom Skillet Chicken .



It really tastes good and I will make some wide egg noodles to serve it on .

A couple days ago, I prepared White Chicken Enchiladas that turned out very good, also .  So,  I think you can tell that my freezer is getting stocked with yummy food .  I have a pile of recipes that sound good to me and I want to make them .

I have been working very hard in the garden as well as my house .  Finally, I have been getting some help with heavy duty work outside. I am so grateful !  Along with all of the activity I have been having a lot of severe pain in my back .  For many years, I have also had scoliosis and it is getting worse and causing a lot of pain in my upper left back as the curvature is increasing .  More days than not I am having to take small dosage of pain pills and my heating pad has become a constant companion at the end of the day .  It could be worse !

Happy Weekend .

Mary

2 comments:

  1. Your cooking always looks so delicious! I can just smell those beans. Please do describe the process of publishing the cookbook. I have several fundraiser cookbooks in my stash which are very handy. Thank goodness you finally found someone to help with the heavy chores. Be careful not to overdo!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Anita, Mary! So nice that you have such a wonderfully unique cookbook to treasure after all that hard work in getting it put together. Bet it feels so good knowing you’re getting some delicious food stored up in your freezer for days when you just don’t want to cook! I’m so happy to hear you have help in getting your outside taken care of. Little by little you’re really doing it, and that’s just fabulous! I still have plenty to do in getting my outdoors “winterized” - such a dreaded word to me. But, it must be done no matter how much I wish we were back in the Spring and Summer months! It sounds like you’re working out a routine with how to care for your back. Slow and steady wins the race! Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009