Tuesday, October 23, 2018

It Doesn't Get Much Better

Than Yummy Warm Banana Nut Bread from the oven early in the morning .  Along with the first cup of freshly brewed coffee .
Can you see the shiny surface on the bread ?  I had some demerara sugar for another recipe and decided to sprinkle a little on the loafs before placing in the oven .  Demerara Sugar has a fairly large grain and a pale amber color.  I find that it gives a nice little crunch to the bite .
Did you know that there are many types of sugar ?  I knew there were a few but I did not know that there are MANY .

What is the difference between sugars ?
According to Kitchn website, If you think sugar is just sweet, think again. Sugars like muscovado, demerara, and turbinado have flavor depths and aromatic heights that blow plain ol’ granulated sugar out of the water.
While most of these sugars are classified as “raw,” they’re still typically refined to some extent in order to be used in cooking. Look for them in the natural foods section at your grocery store or in the baking section at natural foods markets. Also, keep your eyes open when traveling abroad. Other countries often have interesting kinds of sugars that we can’t find here in the USA.
• Demerara – This is a type of cane sugar with a fairly large grain and a pale amber color. It has a pleasant toffee flavor and can be used in place of brown sugar.
• Sucanat – Made from crystallized pure cane sugar, this truly unrefined sugar retains a higher proportion of molasses than other types of cane sugars. It has an intense, rather burnt taste that can be jarring in lighter baking recipes but is fantastic in things like spice cakes and ginger cookies.
• Muscovado – Another cane sugar, this one has a very moist texture and a strong molasses flavor. It can be found in different strengths, as you can see visually in the image above and read about here. It’s excellent in savory dishes like barbecue sauces and marinades.
• Jaggery – This sugar is typically made from palm, coconut, or java plants and comes compressed into a pattycake or cone. It has an earthy sweet flavor that we like over oatmeal and in some fruit crumbles.
• Piloncilo – Similar to jaggery, this uniquely Mexican sugar is the secret ingredient in many salsas, soups, and mole sauces. It has a strong and almost-smoky molasses flavor.
• Turbinado – Less processed than brown sugar, turbinado is made from the first pressing of sugar cane and retains some natural molasses. It has a light caramel flavor that makes it a good replacement for regular white sugar.

The demerara sugar I used on the Banana Nut Bread was bought to use for a Fig and Almond Cake .   I used blueberries because I didn't have time and the figs were no longer available from my fig tree.
This recipe also includes almond flour which I have not used before .

This cake has a different texture and I really liked it .  And, especially with a little whipped cream on top.

Life has been very hectic lately .  I am trying to get a lot done before the cooler weather begins .

I hope your week is going well .

Mary

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the tutorial on the many types of sugars. I had no idea and am now fascinated by the possibilities of using sugar other than white and old C &H brown! I have one cookie recipe that uses almond flour-lemon lavender butter cookies from Giada. The cookies have a crumbly texture. They are one of my very favorite cookies. Enjoy the banana bread-it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009