Monday, October 29, 2018

Outside Winter Preparation

This privacy Oleander hedge around my corner lot that I planted years ago had become so large/tall that I was having difficulty seeing the roadside when trying to exit my driveway .  By the way - the deer do not eat Oleander .
And, also it had become a safety hazard with cars driving around the corner .  So, I knew I would have to do something about it sooner or later. When I thought that I had found someone to help with the heavy duty yard work things did not work out as I thought they would .  Without going into the details he chopped them down way too low and really made a mess out of the project . Thereafter, another worker helped me out and they are all trimmed and looking more reasonable .  They will grow fast and I probably won't ever have to have them trimmed again .  I have had them pruned once before .
See, the huge trailer full of prunings ?  Two of these were hauled away to the dump .  The Oleander plants are now only about 4 feet tall !  But, neat and clean .

Looks a lot different  !  Now the gate and control mechanism box show that they need paint .  Always something .

Can you notice the nice blacktop coating on the entrance to my cement driveway ?  The neighbors across the way were having their asphalt driveway resurfaced with blacktop and I was able to ask the workers if they could do my little section of driveway entrance after they finished the big job and they did . Through the years I have always been able to get the blacktop done by what I call "being a tag along" .  I always pay them cash and it is usually very reasonable .   I have never planned it .  It just happens when I see a blacktop crew in the neighborhood .  Works for me !

The garden is looking very bland except for this beautiful Burning Bush plant .
Until next time.

Take Care.

Mary

2 comments:

  1. That is some kind of beautiful oleander. I have always liked oleander because they were bullet proof and could be trimmed into whatever shape was best for the spot. However, down here we have had an oleander blight which has killed almost all of them. And once the blight, actually a virus I believe, has infected the soil, oleanders will not grow in that spot again. It is a shame because we lost one that I had spent years trimming and training to look like an olive tree. Did you know some oleanders have flowers with a scent?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I don't think I've ever seen or heard of an Oleander shrub, but I really like how beautifully it grew. They certainly have been trimmed back quite significantly, but I'll bet they'll come back lush and healthy afterwards!

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009