Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Do I Miss The Thanksgiving Countdown As A Hostess

You bet I do !!!  As a girl growing up in the 50's it is not surprising that I enjoyed the thought of some day having a family surrounding a festive large Turkey feast in honor of all the blessings throughout the year and for our Founding Fathers of America .  Reportedly, the history of the First Thanksgiving has many versions of the reality .

One description of the event is as follows . "In 1789, George Washington declared Thursday, Nov. 26, a Thanksgiving holiday, but only for that year, and it wasn’t connected to the Pilgrim feast but rather intended as a “public thanksgiving and prayer” devoted to “the service of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be.”   History has many versions, doesn't it?  Lots of varied information about what food was served , who attended , where and when - and why !

Personally, I like to focus on the word THANKFULNESS.  This is a definition of the word that resonates with me .  "The definition of thankfulness is our way of understanding what we see, hear and feel. Our own way of measuring our way in life. It is one of the only things that we have in our lives that solely belongs to ourselves no one can ever interact with your thankfulness."

I am so grateful for the years in my life when I was a young wife and mother who had the opportunity to have a three generation family around my holiday dinner on many occasions .
Unfortunately, there never were any grandparents of mine or aunts, uncles, cousins , nieces or nephews around the table .  I was the first of my siblings to have children even though I was youngest. My parents migrated from Minnesota to California on there honeymoon in the late 1920's.  Which meant that I grew up without knowing any relatives .   I yearned to have grandparents and relatives present in my life .  

But, I cherished the countdown of preparation for holiday meals .  I have always enjoyed cooking and baking as well as holiday decorating .  

This is a turkey that I roasted a few years ago .  It was nice to know that I still had the knack for it.  And, I find a lot of enjoyment in selecting and preparing all the sides dishes and pies/desserts . 
I little decor from the past .
This tablescape lends itself to the theme of Thanksgiving  -  I think .  Just a few vintage Johnson Brothers Windsor Ware dishes in Garden Bouquet pattern from a local thrift shop .  I like my vintage gold Acorn salt and pepper shakers that I received in the 1960's .
It's so good to have lots of good memories even though I have had too many holidays alone.  It is what it is - and I am very thankful for all the goodness in my life .

May all of you enjoy your Thanksgiving even if it is a bit challenging if your current circumstances are more challenging than usual.

Mary

3 comments:

  1. Mary, I know without a doubt that you make the perfect hostess on any occasion! I’m sure your turkey and all the fixings are, and always have been, scrumptious. You’ve such a talent for setting the stage by arranging such beautiful tablescapes..... I’m thinking fondly of you and your precious Ivy, and wishing you both a peaceful and relaxing Thanksgiving. The meaning of the word thankfulness that you shared Is one of the best that I’ve heard. Take care and God bless you, my friend!! {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  2. *:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*:._.:*~*:._.:*:._.:*
    *H*A*P*P*Y* *T*H*A*N*K*S*G*I*V*I*N*G*!*!*
    *:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*:._.:*~*:._.:*:._.:*

    Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best Thanksgiving wishes to you dear Mary and Miss Ivy. I wish we were geographically closer so you could join us here in San Diego. Your tables always look beautiful as does your cooking. I love to be the hostess at Thanksgiving and have been for 30 years now.

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009