Sunday, January 17, 2016

Do You Ever Hate Your Kitchen Range

I do not use the word HATE very often.

Oh, but she is so Pretty and Sleek looking. Right?                        But, does she perform as promoted by literature and the salesperson? Well - - - - - - - Stove-top, Kinda. - - - - - - Oven, No. Absolutely Not.


Just a little history. I bought the range in 2008 at the time that I was doing some upgrading of my little home. I refinanced the mortgage, got a good interest rate and took enough money to make the home improvements which mostly involved the kitchen and bathrooms. In addition, I painted and painted and painted all the rooms. But, I don't think I can honestly say that I have totally finished the painting!   

Now back to the range. It was not inexpensive. I desired a few bells and whistles. I had a smooth ceramic glass cook top in the past and I wanted it again. One minor reason for replacing the range was that I had unintentionally placed a plastic microwave plate cover on the hot surface. Need I say more??? In addition I was interested in having a convection oven. 

I do not remember having a lot of disappointment with the range at the beginning other than my large (14' X 16') cookie sheets would not fit in the oven because the fan (for the convection) took up space in the back of the oven. A few years ago I researched buyer reviews of this model oven and found a huge amount of dissatisfaction. Most were related to the fluctuation of the oven temperature. The oven takes a long time to preheat and I have a lot of difficulty baking and roasting and inaccurate temperature that I never have had with other ovens.  I certainly noticed it when I was doing a lot more cooking when I was in the five year relationship. And, I am continually annoyed with the cook top temperature. For $2310.99 (in 2008) I should be a lot happier! Don't ya think? 

Recently, I have been researching ranges on the Internet and that is as far as I got. I really prefer a gas range or a duel fuel range but that would involve gas line installment! I don't think so. But, I got out my current range manual and studied every page. I will try again to adjust the temperature with the available feature on this range after I thoroughly clean the oven/stove top. Before I use the self clean control I am going to use the overnight ammonia/vinegar method. I have never left the racks in with the self clean method. But, I can leave them in with the ammonia/vinegar way. Check out this link, Oven Cleaning.

And, one more thing I am going to do is to replace the oven door gasket. They run about $50.00. A small amount if it can make me a Happy Range Lover!

It seems as though I have had way to many cooking/baking flops lately, mostly oven. Maybe, it is ME and not the range. I HOPE NOT! When I made the ham on New Years it was over cooked but still very usable. The oven was set at 275 degrees and the store bought thermometer (they say you should not use one because they reportedly are inaccurate) said 350 degrees. Go figure...

By the way, I made some great Potato And Ham Chowder with the ham bone. It is nice to have some chowder in the freezer.

I hope your weekend was very good.  Mary

5 comments:

  1. We purchased a new stove (gas) for the new house, I just could't do electric. My daughter alerted us to a sale at Home Depot, where she works nights. Your chowder looks yummy, yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you like your new stove? And, can you tell me what brand and model. It looks like your new home is coming together nicely. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your kitchen is cute as a button. I like your flat top stove I think my mom has the exact set as you. I have always preferred cooking with gas. I have also found that simple is better. I have had my GE now for 11 years with no problems (knock on wood). I agree with Tina, your chowder looks delicious!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa, I'm so happy that your range has been "a friend" for this long. My range and I are hardly on speaking terms. I haven't ordered the gasket yet. But, I will. Been dealing with a leaky bathroom shut-off valve! Yuck! Blessings.

      Delete
  4. I can say that my brother has a convection oven, too, which was quite expensive, but doesn't live up to their expectations, either!! He also bought a top of the line dishwasher that has had more problems than our simple, straightforward dishwasher that was put in brand new when we moved into the house 1 1/2 years ago. So I 100% agree with Lisa, and have found that simple IS better, at least on my end! As for our range, it's gas, and I much prefer electric. It's got all the bells and whistles, but is very hard to keep the top clean, and I find that the oven takes longer to cook things than our electric oven used to. Plus, the range is black, which is a color I don't really prefer for appliances because it shows the dirt and debris even after just having been cleaned. I hope you got your shut-off valve fixed! Take care. :)

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009