Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Fresh Start

It is such a good feeling! So many have commented on their blogs that they are so happy to close the book of 2015. I think this past year was filled with more trauma in a multitude of areas of our lives than any year I can remember. A lot of the upheaval has been outside of our immediate families. Our society has been changing rapidly into a culture that feels so unfamiliar. And, there has been a huge feeling of helplessness. The uncertainties have stressed the family unit in new and unknown ways.

Personally, my year was filled with a wide spectrum of emotions ranging from distress to "pure and simple" happiness. Learning (really learning) that happiness is a choice takes a lot of work. And, I am so thankful that I have been given the necessary strength and wisdom.
I am in total favor of turning to a fresh page. How about January? That sounds good to me. And, this photo comes from one of my favorite books. Actually, there are three that I think of as similar in their presentation. I have had them for many years. This particular book has lovely poems, many for each month of the year. The gentleness of the artists rendition of the subjects is pleasing to my eye.
At the present, we are experiencing ElNino with a heavy rain storm and not far "up the hill" it is snowing. With the wet and cold (for California) weather I tend to stay in and not attend to the necessary (like groceries) errands - not good, Mary! If I don't get my act together I may have to look for the squirrels winter stash.

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't feel compassion for the many people, especially those of the Butte forest fire that have been left homeless. Reading in the newspaper about the conditions by which they are living on their land without sanitation as well as many other necessities is appalling and heart breaking. It is so close to me and just isn't right. Many local people are able to help out but the magnitude of those in need is astounding. And, when you consider that many of the people are senior citizens it feels even worse. Pray for help.

I have been watching my amaryllis bulb daily checking for the crimson red color to start peaking out of the bud. The stems (two) are very tall. With the darkness of the outdoor weather it is difficult to provide enough daylight but something is starting to happen. Indoor photography is challenging but I gave it my best try.
It  looks like there is going to be a lot of flowering goin' on in the near future. I really look forward to my amaryllis each and every year and mine always seem to open after Christmas. Maybe I should buy them earlier in the season. However, it is great to have the lovely colors of amaryllis to enjoy at this time of the year.

Lily Update - She is "holding her own" which has thrilled me and at the same time she has surprised me. I really did not think she was going to make it through 2015. We have become more connected emotionally than any other pet I have had. Crazy - but I think she knows what I am thinking - and - I know FOR SURE what she is thinking! She can still be tenacious when she thinks it is necessary but for the most part she is really easy to tend to. She always wants to please me. It is such a lovely feeling.

At church on Sunday, I said to a close friend that I think Lily may outlive me. And, he said GOOD. When he realized what he said we had a great laugh. It is important to laugh, right?
Wishing you a Warm and Cozy Day.

Mary

1 comment:

  1. I like the look of the pictures, too, in your favorite book(s). Yes, I like fresh starts! So difficult to see and hear of the results of all this crazy weather and people who are being affected by it across the nation in various forms. It sure does make it tough on some days to get up the gumption to head out and tend to what needs to be done! SO HAPPY to hear that Lily is happy and holding her own!!

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009