Friday, January 1, 2016

2016

I am feeling very optimistic about entering a New Year. It is such a good feeling to know that I will be beginning with my heart and head in a very good place. I feel open to new adventures, experiences, opportunities and friends.
I enjoyed watching the New Years Day Rose Parade this morning on TV. It always brings memories of my youth. Growing up in California near Pasadena made it  possible for me (with a youth church group) to be able to work on the parade floats. The Lutheran Laymen's League float is the longest running (and currently the only) religious float in the Tournament of Roses parade, appearing since 1951.

This year they continued the tradition by sponsoring a float called "Jesus Is The Light of the World". This years builder was Phoenix Decorating Co. Volunteers are still working on the floats along with the professionals. The volunteers are now part of an organization called "Petal Pushers". They work on other floats, as well and they come from all over the states. My volunteering was between 1953 and 1957. Yes, LOOOOOOOONG time ago!

Last year in 2015, the Lutheran's sponsored the only Christian-themed entry among 37 floats. It featured an open Bible with depictions of the Nativity, Moses, Noah's ark and the Baptism of Jesus. Frequently the Lutheran's float wins an award. And, last year they won the PRINCESSES Award which is the Most Beautiful Float 35 feet and under.



In addition, last year, Temple City High School Band (the high school I graduated from) was chosen to march in the parade. The performing bands are selected from all over the world for just 12 openings. When I attended the school it was a new high school and I was in the first graduating class.

Another memory, when I was in Nurses Training, one of my roommates was in the competition for Rose Queen in 1958 of the Tournament of Roses. She was beautiful and competed in many rounds of the competition. She previously had been Queen of a small desert town in Southern California.

NOW, just a little food prep today because at the holiday many foods are available in the super market that are not available routinely. In the past I have enjoyed baked ham that I get at holidays. So anyway, I bought a ham to prepare a nice meal for myself as well as packaging some in portions for the freezer to use in day to day cooking.


               I hope it will be as satisfactory as the                                 hams in the past.

Wishing everyone a Very Happy New Year.

Mary

1 comment:

  1. Mary, I enjoyed the background info on The Lutheran Laymen's League float. Last year's float was beautiful, and I love that it provided the opportunity to give a testimony of the Lord Jesus Christ somewhere in all the hub bub and excitement of the Rose Parade. Also enjoyed the bit of your history as well. Mmmm, ham sounds delicious, and I hope it turned out nicely for you!

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009