Monday, April 23, 2018

The Weather Has Been Outstanding

Sweet Ivy continues to improve but still has some strange behaviors. I scheduled an appointment for her with the Vet for Wednesday.  She has not had very much veterinary care that I am aware of.  Along with her deafness it seems she may have a "strange, bizarre" disorder called Hyperesthesia .  The word actually means "abnormally increased sensitivity of the skin" .  It is also known as  rippling or rolling skin syndrome or twitch cat syndrome.  The skin ripples from the shoulders all the way down to the tail and sometimes up the tip of the tail. The movement has been clearly visible to me. Her behavior of trying to bite me seems to be always associated with touching her back or spine especially when petting her . She can be purring and enjoying being pet under her neck and suddenly growl and try to bite me. It usually occurs if I move my hand around her neck toward her back.  Most of the time she does not try to hurt me but it is more like a warning.  It's like she has "a no-touch zone".

Some of the other behaviors that I have observed include waking from deep sleep and running very fast around the house.  A couple times it appeared as though she was hallucinating ! Believe me, a couple days ago she stopped in her tracks, looked at the ceiling and down and up again and down and then jumped into a closed door and seemed to do a somersault jumping very high and she seemed very frightened, scared and in a trance before she calmed down.

There are many symptoms of the disease, some very serious like chewing themselves until bloody.  Thankfully, she only has a few symptoms which I think will be manageable once I understand them.  There is no cure, just palliative treatment. We will wait and see what the Vet says.
Flowers are really starting to bloom in the garden.  This is an Anemone that was planted here before I moved in 25 years ago.
This is another Anemone in magenta planted next to the white one.  They have bloomed every year since I moved here.
The Iris are starting to bloom and I am so VERY EXCITED.  All the hard work last year of replanting them in healthy soil may have been worth it.  I have already counted 24 blossoms that are starting to bloom !
But, it saddens me that I have NOT been able to clean the weeds that are everywhere I look.

These photos were all taken around 7 PM this evening so the quality is not very good.

Ivy really likes her Catio.  She spends a lot of time outside from morning until it gets dark.  But, she takes her afternoon nap in HER living room chair.  I just thought about this.  She may feel safe and secure in the enclosed small space outside.
Oh, I do hope I will be able to provide a good home for Ivy.  She really seems like a gentle soul and usually starts purring when I touch her.

Until we meet again.

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009