Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Wine Lover's Destination

That's what our little Main Street downtown (two blocks from me) is called by some people.  Yes, Wine Lover's Destination with over two dozen family-owned and operated boutique wine tasting rooms within three short blocks.  And, now we have another new wine tasting room, Broll Mountain vineyards .  Fresh and High End.
I am not opposed to new development and "progress" but I dislike seeing the interesting history/buildings of this Historic Gold Mining Town fade into the darkness.
This location of the Historic Ice Cream Shop, The Peppermint Stick has been replaced by the new wine tasting room !  So sad to replace an open and in business 1893 establishment with a 2018 wine tasting room that is skirted with wine tasting rooms on each side !

It is not long ago that Main Street was filled with fun and interesting boutiques, art galleries, little quaint restaurants, a few wine tasting rooms, and antique shops along with a few real life businesses like hair salons, florists, clothing stores, yarn shop and hardware store.
The walls were covered with memorabilia of photos, chachkies and lots of Mickey Mouse bric-a-brac. Old stuff, but fun !
I continue to love living in this little town.  And, I am so lucky that I have lived here long enough to remember "the good ol' days" before it became so commercialized and a tourist attraction .  And, for me, living in the Country certainly supersedes living in the Big City.  However, I have always cherished my life experiences of living in the Big City in the January of my life !  The seasons of my life are rolling right along !

How true ! As Heraclitus, the Greek philosopher said "Change is the only constant in life".

Until next time.

Mary

2 comments:

  1. I am so unhappy that the Peppermint Stick is no more. We stopped there at least twice during each visit to Murphys. I also made a stop at the shop selling spices during each visit. It is a shame that the old shops are fast disappearing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary, I am so glad you stopped by to introduce yourself. I think I would love to live in your town, it seems so quaint and festive. I am surrounded by suburbia here in Florida and I long for a bit simpler life. Your flowers are so beautiful and I find your love y=for your cat, deaf or not inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009