Saturday, August 25, 2018

Look The Other Way If You Are Counting Calories

I have gotten to the point where I can hardy bring myself to purchase (I mean eat) processed food in the form of microwave dinners.  The quality of food , flavor and  healthfulness is so lacking!!!  Unfortunately,  the convenience factor seems to draw me back and then I become very annoyed with myself .  There are so many days especially in the warmer weather that I push myself to my physical limit and the last thing I want (or can do) is to work in the kitchen at the end of the day. Through the years I have tried to makes meals "from scratch" and keep a good supply in the freezer .  But, I haven't been very diligent in this matter as of late.

So, it is time to get back to taking better care of myself which means some recipe reading.  Estelle's Southern Chicken and Rice Casserole grabbed my attention.  You can google the recipe.  But, prepare yourself for quite a lot of calories. Of course you can make some ingredient modification to bring the count down a little bit !
Doesn't this look yummy ?  Especially, if you are feeling hungry. This shows the dish following the baking and just after topping it with cheddar cheese and French fried onions.

And, the next shows the casserole after the topping is melted and browned a little.  It may not look like it - but it certainly has a lot of healthy ingredients. It has shredded chicken, long grain and wild rice, green beans, water chestnuts, sliced pimiento peppers, cream of celery soup. It's the cheese and miracle whip that hikes up the calories.  And, that is what makes it taste so good !  An added plus is that it is one of the easiest casseroles you will ever make!   Add a side of Iceberg Lettuce wedge and you will be all set for an easy little dinner.                
                      Remember, PORTION CONTROL!
Now, it is time to make another recipe (lower calories) for some more "make ahead freezer meals".  Cooking for ONE has it's pros and cons, like most things in life  !

Our weather in California is wonderful today and I feel grateful.  I hope all of you enjoy your weekend.

Mary

1 comment:

  1. Oh-that does look yummy. Good for you to try to avoid prepackaged foods. Our weather is lovely right now and I am trying to spend as much time outside as I can before the east winds blow hot air from the desert next month. I have been knitting a cardigan and it is so pleasant to sit on the back pation and knit away.

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009