Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Having A Great Day With Blue Sky

Today is the first day in a long time that the sky has had periods of blue sky with white billowy clouds .  The fires that have been contributing the most to the smoky skies are progressing to a higher percentage of containment which is wonderful .  However the temperatures are predicted to be higher again in the coming week to around 100 degrees .
I am still having to water the garden at least two times a day . But, I have been getting caught up on routine errands as well as the never ending task of paperwork that accompanies life and having a house .  Yesterday I  picked up a car trunk full of soil amendments and planting soil for the garden  .  I am hoping it will help with water retention for the dry cracking soil surface that has been visible everyday .  This is after watering the afternoon the day before .
 Delightful surprise in the garden when I saw the tomatoes turning red .
However, the figs have not shown any change (size or color) for weeks . Don't know what that is all about .

Yesterday when I took my household waste to the dump I saw the darkened burned hillside from one of the fires .  I was so surprised to see how close it burned to the disposal station - right up to the fence .  I didn't have my camera .  And, then I saw another area of burned hill side not far from the first site .  STARTLING !

This is what the hillsides and the whole area around here and throughout a lot of California looks like !  So much dry grass !   Cal-fire working to contain parameter of a fire .
My CAT scan is scheduled for August 22 but I have to have some blood drawn for lab work before that day  .
I have done a little more research on the Doctor and I learned something that I did not know in the past about the designation of M.D .   It does not only include what I have known in the past as a M.D, but now legally identifies Allopathics and Osteopathics trained individuals as a M.D.  I guess my knowledge base on the term of  D.O. (Doctor of Osteopathy) is a little archaic.  So anyway,  his background education is in the field of Osteopathic medicine .  Training in Italy and the US.  And, much to my surprise, his last eight years of medical practice has been in the field of Bariatric (weight loss) surgery .  Far different than what I expected after reading our local newspaper introduction of him as quoted by the hospital CEO saying that the doctor "specializes in breast surgery, wound care, colorectal surgery and advanced technology in hernia surgery" .  My research has resulted in finding a list of his area of expertise to be Cancer,  Obesity,  Gastric Bypass,  Stomach Stapling,  Laproscopic Surgery,  Hepatocellular Carcinoma,  Liver Removal,  Liver Transplantation,  Liver Cancer,  Weight Loss and  Surgery.  He is licensed to practice medicine in Alabama, New Mexico and Texas.  He comes to this area from a small rural community in New Mexico.   He has authored several books including  "Slim the Italian Way" (recipes),  "The business of Surgery",  "Professionalism and Ethics in a Surgical Practice"  and  "International Principles of Laparoscopic Surgery".  Strangely Interesting !

One of the many odd things he said to me at my medical appointment was that he could never be a doctor of Internal Medicine because he couldn't order a certain pill and have to wait a month to see if it worked.  He also was very emphatic in saying that he is a Scientist.  And, when he observed that I have a very small umbilical hernia (that I have had for years) he said he could do surgery on it for me.   When he filled out the requisition form for the CAT scan - under the area of symptoms he only wrote abdominal pain and umbilical hernia .  Not a mention of change in bowel habits, which I would think would be the most important symptom.  But then - what do I know ??  Just, a little SARCASM !    After receiving the results of the CAT scan I have NO intention of ever crossing the threshold of his office.  This certainly has been the most bizarre experience with trying to receive proper medical care.

Since I feel well and for the most part I am not suffering in any way. it would be easy to just forget about all of this  .  But, I know we should not ignore changes we experience or see in our bodies .  So, hopefully the CAT scan will not show anything and I can forget about all of this.  If not, I will find a way.

I hope your week is going well .  Take good care of yourself .

Mary

1 comment:

  1. It always amazes me the amount of information available on the internet. I will be sending good vibes and prayers to you during your procedure. It has been cooler down our way for the last few days which is wonderful. The heat has really done a number on my gardens and I am so very ready for a change of seasons.

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009