Tuesday, September 18, 2018

How Could I Be So Wrong

I am quite sure that I owe my neighborhood DEER a BIG APOLOGY .

Look at this huge, fat, 4 inch long pest who is a voracious eater ! 
I believe it is a Tomato Hornworm based on its markings and red horn .  You have no idea how shocked I was when I was walking in the garden this morning and saw two of these very large Hornworms on the tomato plants !  Of all my years of having tomato plants I never have seen any of these quite disgusting looking pests .

Additionally, I had no idea how fast they can destroy such a large amount of vegetation .  I had not seen any evidence of them or any dark green droppings left from the larvae feasting on the leaves .  However I did see wilted leaves .  But, I thought that was because of the high summer temperatures we were having .  As much as I am always checking my garden especially since I water everyday,  the sight of these was quite startling .
I really thought THE DEER  were visiting my garden .  How wrong I was .  And, I had no idea that the Tomato Hornworms ate the tomatoes as well as foliage !  Live and learn !
Once you see one of these I don't think you ever forget what they look like !

I trimmed back the plants and disposed of the pests in some detergent water .  Like I said yesterday,  I'm glad they didn't arrive earlier in the season and I was able to enjoy lots of yummy home grown tomatoes .

The mornings and evenings are certainly cooler .  The Season is a changing !

Mary

1 comment:

  1. Ewww! What a horrendous looking worm! With an appetite like theirs, no wonder you thought the eating had come from a deer. My father always hated investing his time and effort into a garden, only to have some bug or critter move in and destroy all his hard work! Thus, he was never one for gardening, lol! But I’ve had many, and with proper care and safe repellants, you can get a lovely harvest for yourself. :) I love the little cherry tomatoes best of all. They’re little candy treats when they’re perfectly ripe and sweet!

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009