Saturday, October 12, 2019

Something Close To Normal

(photo taken this morning)
I can't really express how happy I am to have the return of power at my home .  It came back on Thursday early evening .  Following the fall of darkness my little world in the mountains was VERY DARK, DARK , DARK !!  By the time I no longer could see through the darkness I had some flashlights at hand and had started my Aladdin Kerosene Lamp that I purchased soon after moving here 25 years ago . Living in the mountains has a different list of desired provisions . Especially with a history of a Huge Wildfire in this area the year prior to me buying this house . My little town was evacuated but no homes/property were lost due to fire. But, it was a huge event with hundreds of homes lost here in the mountains .

This is a photo of my lamp taken in 2011 during a snow storm.  It provided enough light so that I could read or knit .

Being without power was terrible (but it was only one day) however, not knowing when it may return was the most difficult for me .  And , being alone . We were being told that it could be up to a week !  Also , it was very hard for me to get information . No television, no email, no phone and when the power returned PG&E (Pacific Gas and Electric) website crashed !  Needless to say , there is a feeling of unrest in the area . I believe this may just be the beginning of power interruptions in the future .  More information on Where , When and Why if you google California Wildfires .
 After hours of research and personal evaluation I have decided to purchase a generator for my home .
Probably by the end of the week it will be installed and functional if I can get an electrician .  After doing my research I set it aside and then my thoughts went to if you are going to do it - act fast !
Supply and demand could become an issue and soon from what I am hearing .  It has been ordered along with needed add-ons for installation . I look at it as an investment with house value and certainly an Ease Of Living for me especially with my unknown medical situation .
Speaking of Medical ,  I have three appointments this week . Monday - Oncologist , Tuesday - Primary Care , Thursday - PET Scan (rescheduled because of power outage at hospital on October 10) .  I expect to hear results of lab work and ultrasounds.  Onward and Forward for a definitive diagnosis .

It is so nice to have a feeling of calm this morning and I look forward to an uneventful weekend .  Need to get groceries in , go to the dump and post office to pick up mail .  It's a lovely sunny day in the seventies .

Be Well and Safe .

Mary

1 comment:

  1. You are very smart to buy a generator. It was good to read that your power was not out for as long as the original prediction from PGE. Let's all pray the fires are out soon and that will be the end of them for the season.

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009