Tuesday, February 23, 2016

The Spice Tin In My Historic Gold Mining Town

I was just cruising around the internet cloud and found some history about the Spice Shop that I mentioned yesterday. There is so much history in this little town that I live in. Much more than I will ever learn. We have a fabulous Historical Society in this county that even houses the old JAIL from days gone by. So very educational and interesting.
The following script is from our local newspaper in 2009. I have highlighted in red the specific historical points of interest. I hope you enjoy the little tidbits about my town.

“We have dealt with a variety of suppliers to obtain herbs, spices, salts and mushrooms from all over the world,” says Patty Schulz. “Some of the rare spices available for purchase include Marash chili flakes, saffron from Spain and black truffle salt."


The Spice Tin is housed in an historic building that has its own spicy history. It once served as the entrance to an underground tunnel used to secretly move whiskey to the Murphys Hotel during Prohibition. The metal encased building was originally located at the corner of Main St. and Big Trees Rd.  In 1910 it was moved to its present location and served as storage for the old general store. 


Great care has been taken to keep the original nature of the structure intact. It was during the reconstruction that the tunnel was discovered and its history revealed. The Spice Tin is open seven days a week from 11:00 to 5:00. Further information is available at the store’s web site www.thespicetin.com.


Well, that's it for today.

Hug your pets!
Mary     


2 comments:

  1. Finding the Spice Tin was a wonderful surprise to us during our first trip to your town many years ago. The aroma in the shop was just like being in heaven. The owner was such a nice lady! I am glad to see you are feeling better. Spring is almost here!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading the history behind things! Interesting facts!

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009