Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Not Again - Disappointment

 It's the Oven Again.
I had every thing I needed to bake a bundt cake. I even picked up an inexpensive new pan at the store a while back. My bundt pans were ancient, like me and I was a little concerned about the "old style coating " of years past. So, I was all set and decided to make Apple Bundt Cake with Caramel Frosting from Lake Lure Cottage Kitchen.

Assembling every thing went fine and my decision to use cardamon spice instead of cinnamon worked out very well flavor wise. I did not have any cinnamon because I cleaned out my old spices a few days ago.

You may know or remember that I have a hate-love relationship with my range. I haven't taken the time to do the cleaning and replacement of the gasket yet. But, I thought I would try to keep an eye on the temperature gauge. Into the oven goes my beautiful prepared cake batter in my nice brand new cake pan. Fun, huh?

Well, 20 minutes into baking time I noticed the gauge inside the oven was 25 degrees higher than the external gauge on the front panel of the range. The cake was already browning beautifully which surprised me, but I turned the range temperature down and kind of baby sat the cake until I felt it was time to take it out of the oven. Oh, so lovely it came out of the pan! See the photo.

Are you ready? Here comes the disappointment. I decided to cut a piece before preparing the frosting so I could see the texture and taste it first. The flavor was wonderful but the texture was a combination of very over baked and just slightly under baked  and gummy in the center! That meant that the outer portion was very dry. Not Good! I think I should have screamed, but I didn't.

This is a beautiful picture from Lake Lure Cottage Kitchen blog of what I was expecting. Doesn't that look great?
Well now, since the flavor was so good. I will probably be enjoying some of it even though I chose not to prepare the lovely frosting.

That's my sad tale for today. Now I have to give a lot of thought as to what I want to do with "The Range That I Hate." Look at blog here. I really don't want to pay for a new door gasket (it looks fine) and install it when it may not make any difference. After all, this temperature thing has been going on for quite some time.

Ya gotta give me an A+ for trying, I think. 

Please have a Great Day.

Mary

5 comments:

  1. Mary,
    It is so nice to meet you and I so appreciate your thoughtful visit this morning.
    I was so touched that you could feel the energy in my kitchen.
    I do want home to be a place of joy and love.

    I know exactly what you mean about a range/oven that is persnickety. They are such
    disappointments.
    I hope you area able to get it up and running like it should be so that you can go back to enjoying baking.
    If you have the chance we would love for you to join us tomorrow for Thoughts Of Home On Thursday and link up a recipe, a photo, gardening, decorating. Well I suppose just about anything that inspires you.
    Have a very lovely afternoon,
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my moms pound cakes didnt turn out well, we would pop a piece in the toaster before eating it and it somehow perfected it. However, yours looks really pretty. I bet it was good none the less.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand your frustrations. I believed for many years that I was a horrible baker, unable to produce pies or cakes. Then we remodeled our kitchen and put in a new double oven (Kenmore Elite). WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The problem with my baking was not just my inabilities-that stupid, old, cheap, builder-grade oven which must have been unable to hold a steady temperature. Now I am learning to bake with wonderful success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita. I think I may "have to bite the bullet" and get a new range if I want to do much baking. This range is far from a builder-grade. It is GE Profile that I paid over $2,000 in 2008. Recently I read a lot of reviews on this model and unfortunately read many many complaints of oven temperature fluctuations. Theses things happen. I have to think about what I should do next. Blessings

      Delete
  4. Oh, darn that oven! It's always so frustrating to put time and effort into something that just doesn't quite pan out. I've had several instances like that, especially with breads and/or rolls. I wonder what is going on with your oven?? I think Lisa's idea is a great one!

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009