Sunday, July 10, 2022

Do You Know The Green Man

This is The Green Man that overlooks my garden leaning against the upper region of one of my old and tall cedar trees. He has been up there for years and sure seems to being a good job!


The Green Man is Mainly associated with the symbol of Rebirth, representing the cycle of growth each spring. Some say he is the ancient guardian of the forest.

Some speculate the mythology of the Green Man developed independently in the tradition of separate ancient cultures and evolved into the wide variety of examples found throughout history.

The Celtic tradition was highly resolved around the fertility of the land and lush vegetation was a sign of prosperity.

Instead of repurposing the Green Man, the church embraced the Green Man through architecture.

In fact, most European churches have Green Men hiding all around the walls and ceilings. Next time you are in one be sure to look around.

You will be amazed as to just how many are scattered around from Ireland to even many parts of Russia.

The reason the Catholic church didn't seem to mind this Celtic symbol was because of Jesus Christ As the symbol is of death and resurrection (rebirth), the church saw it as a way to spread the word of Christianity through symbology. 
My garden has surprised me so much this year.  Even with the terrible clay soil, no
fresh fertilizer or compost and the late frost and snow fall, the blooms have been exceptional!


Similar to the one above but different.  There is slight difference in color and and the one above is edged with color.





All so beautiful, maybe for the fact that I have watered more frequently because there are so many things that I can not do in the house and the garden. And I want to be outside when the weather is pleasant.
A few days ago when I was watering I had an unexpected guest.  It was the most beautiful BROWN FOX cruising along the top of the fence not to far from where I was standing. He stopped and we starred at each other and then he continued with his travels and then jumped down into the neighbors yard.
(google image - California fox)
And, then a couple days later I was along the fence watering and along came another fox only a few feet away.  It looked a lot thinner than the previous sighting.  

The birds of all types have been visiting.  I especially enjoy the red headed wood peckers doing their thing on the trees and power poles! Their noise helps me to see where they are. And, their red crown is such a vibrant red!
(Google  Image - California Wood Pecker)
And, of course the Blue Jays are everywhere and constantly taking care of business!
Another frequent visitor soaring above the trees are the hawks. Reportedly, California has 13 different kinds of hawks.  I think our hawks are Red-Tailed Hawks. And they make a loud screeching persistent sound.  I saw one perched up high in one of my trees making lots of noise. I went for my camera and was able to get a photo with my simple point and shoot camera, much to my surprise.
 

And, Hummingbirds flitting here and there outside my window.

OH, What a Wonderful World!  My Garden is my refuge where I never think about the goings on we see on TV is we watch.

Mary 

1 comment:

  1. Your gardens always look so inviting. Keep those flower and bird pictures coming as I love them. Thanks for the story of the green man.

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009