Friday, July 24, 2020

My Heart Is So Warm And Soft And Filled With Joy

I could not wait any longer to share with you the profound happiness I feel for my Granddaughter in her journey of finding the realization of what a true and real mother feels like !  She and her little young family experienced a beautiful travel trip and visit with her mother , her mother's husband and her half sister .  It appears like there would not be a better way to describe this great life experience other than beautiful !  And , it sounds like it was LOVE, LOVE and MORE LOVE !
I have always tried to be by her side as best I could as she traveled through her tumultuous life from infancy .  Early on I was not allowed to be involved even when the military brought them from Korea to the States when she was about 2 years of age !  She is a beautiful biracial human being !!! Eventually , she was able to learn about me and who I am !  Through brief summer vacation visits when she was old enough to come alone we became closely bonded as Grandma and Granddaughter .  The  years were nothing resembling normal for her and it is difficult for me to comprehend how traumatic and dysfunctional her day to day existence was including a very emotionally and physically abusive step-mother during her high school years and  thereafter until not to long ago when she took the stance of  "enough is enough" . "I will live my own life - thank you" .  But she always knew she had my never ending unconditional love even when we had very little interaction and the relationship was threatened by outside influences . Sadly , some of the fall-out of her life of just surviving landed in my lap . By that I mean , I was not at her college graduation or her wedding but she knew my love was with her .
                         (on the right)
And , when the time most miraculously came about a couple years ago that was leading up to possible reunification with her mother I strongly but gently encouraged her to soften her heart and to nurture the process .  It is so difficult when falsehoods are planted in a babies/child's head about an absent parent .  We know it happens all to often .  But, I did not have any idea of the magnitude of the damaging dialogue which she experienced until she recently shared with me . 

All through the years her mother was yearning to have her daughter as a part of her life - - - - like she had always been a part of her heart !

My Granddaughter has evolved into an impressive woman .  She is married to an exceptional partner . Remember it takes work of two people to have exceptional partnering !  The mother of two children. Finished her Bachelor of Science Degree while working part time and pregnant with their second child .  She has been substitute teaching and continuing with her education (on line) taking 18 units each term to complete a teaching credential .  When she recently received her grades she was disappointed when she received one B grade along with all A's !  And ,  she also was home schooling the last month or so due to the pandemic .  All of this along with being A Mother and A Wife which is no easy task on its own !  If it is worth having it is worth working for .  And , most people have to work for what they want !




My life is one of many compartments and this is one of utmost JOY .

Thank you for sharing this JOY with me .





Mary

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely story. Families are so important and can be the source of great joy, and sadly, great anguish. I'm glad this is a happy chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading about your granddaughter over the years. She is an impressive young lady. You gave her such love and support. I remember the purple afghan you knit for her! She is so lucky to have you as her grandmother.

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009