Friday, August 14, 2015

Lambs' Ear - No I Didn't Become A Rancher

This is an interesting looking plant with greyish white woolly leaves that could be ears with a little imagination. It makes a nice ground cover and it will spread. From early summer to early autumn it produces erect stems with spikes of white-wooly pink-purple flowers. The flowers are quite tiny.

This patch of Lambs' Ear is on the other side of my house and I want to have some of it in my white garden. So, I have taken shoots from the plant and placed them in some planters with hopes that they will root.
This is how they looked after planting the "starter plants". I planted three planters full.
In the past I had a very large spread of Lambs' Ear but lost it because of some BAD planting mix. Remember when Katrina flood hit. Well, Walmart was selling planter mix at a good price that (I guess unknowingly) had mold from the soil from that area. There was a public announcement of the issue. Unfortunately, I had already used about 10 bags of it. I had planted an "Old Rusty Iron Bed Planter" with it filled with yellow and red tulips. A few bloomed the first year and that was it. It is really nasty stuff. I still come across it once in a while in my garden. Now when I see some, it is a dry grey dirt that does not absorb water. Just another gardener's unexpected failed venture.

Well, my starter plants have done well. Of course, some wilt and don't catch on with the gang. You know there always are a few outsiders.

These photos are from today. I will soon get them planted. Have to get some planting soil. I am totally out. I buy it locally now at a hardware/garden store.

Well, the sun is shining brightly and it isn't too hot. It's a Great Day for me and I hope it is for you too.

Mary

1 comment:

  1. Bet those will be really pretty once they spread out... hope every single one survives... cute little lambies. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009