Saturday, August 15, 2015

One Fifth Of An Acre

My little piece of property is one fifth of an acre. Not big - Not small. Just enough for me. However, can you imagine that there only two water faucets, one on each side of the house against the side of the house. Long time ago I added two additional faucets on each side.
 This top photo shows where I have a short hose to fill my watering can. It is very handy!
OK now, the hoses have to be carried to all the places that need to be watered. Along a pathway beside the "creek" (when there are winter rains) I made some sprinklers with PVC pipe. Well, quite some time ago the PVC glue joint loosened and I wasn't able to use the sprinkler by turning the faucet on up by the house.  I finally have had time to make the repairs.
See, how nice that works.  There is another set of four sprinklers along the pathway further back on a different faucet so there is good water pressure. All of these hoses can be put on timers up by the house if I am away for any more than a couple days. Of course, with our terrible drought I don't use them every day and when I do I watch the clock carefully for only five minute watering.

It doesn't take much to get a gardener excited. This is the first year my White Crepe Myrtle has bloomed this nicely at the corner of the White Garden. I planted it in that location so it would hide the power pole.
Remember, everything is so dry because we are not allowed to water very much. I try to use less water in the house so I have it for the garden.
Here are a couple blooms from my plants this year in the White Garden.








It is really difficult to grow "anything" in this terrible clay rocky soil. And, especially with the drought.  I have two neighbors who have beautiful fantastic professional landscaping which may help with my property value. Besides that,  they are lovely people and neighbors. I am blessed. My little piece of property could be outstanding for anyone who could spend some money on having truckloads of topsoil brought in, some terracing down by the seasonal creek and also an irrigation system. Trenching in this soil (if you can call it soil) is a huge undertaking. Most all of my plantings started out as one gallon plants. One example is the pictured Crepe Myrtle!  It is difficult for me to dig holes that are deep and large enough. Amazing, to me is that many of my plantings are quite large after many years.

Thank you for joining me in my garden today. Next time I just might put you to work! ! ! I deeply appreciate that I am able to have my little house and this lovely piece of land in a great location. I worked hard for it, but some people work hard and still aren't able to prosper from their hard work, for numerous reasons.

Yes, it is a good day.

Mary

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE all of your hoses and faucets and sprinklers. I've almost aways lived on acreage and hated dragging the hoses all over the place. As I'm getting holder, it's harder to drag them! You are so very lucky to have y our own piece of ground and a house. Hubby and I have been renting now for 5 years, and may just be (lucky enough to be) on the verge of buying our own little house again. It has a very small yard which is sad, but is all we can afford, so I will make the most of the small area and fence.. and plant upwards on the fence too! The White Crepe Myrtle does hide that pole very well. I have a real aversion to telephone and power poles and that's exactly what I would do if I had to look at one from anywhere in my hard! Love your posts! Marilyn

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009