Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Today Is My Son's 57th Birthday

As is often said by mothers of a certain age,  "How did this happen so fast"?  It can't be so. but it is !  He really is 57 ! ! !   If you follow my blog you realize that my memories of this time of new life has been very bittersweet.  Even though it was a challenging time of unknowns we carried on as best as we could.
His due date was December 5 but he wasn't born until December 20.  Having a Birthday five days before Christmas is not a desire of any child I have known.  So, it was not unusual for us to party and celebrate his Birthday in the middle of the summer.  I recall one year when we had a big party with a Pinata in a decorated garage where there was plenty of room to swing the stick to strike the suspended Pinata and gather the falling candy.
Another party that was popular at the time was to have a Birthday Party in an Ice Cream Parlor.  I recall arranging the party following his father's departure from the family!

I would so enjoy being able to be with my son today, on his Birthday.  However,  "I don't think it is in the cards" this year nor do I think it will happen in the future.

For many years we also celebrated his Birthday with a Christmas Cookie Party.  I would usually bake at least 20 different types of cookies. All the ol' favorites like Spritz, Thumbprint, Pfeffernusse, Sugar Cutout Frosted Cookies, Russian Tea Cakes, Snickerdoodles, Peanut Butter Blossoms, Chocolate Fudge, Molasses Crinkles, Old Fashioned Oatmeal, Ginger Bread Men and Swedish Rosettes.  All those cookies presented a beautiful display of holiday colors.  And, of course everyone of them looked especially celebratory if we chose to add a Birthday Candle!

It would be so nice if I had a color photo of the display to share.
From the moment I got out of bed this morning I have been in more pain than usual.  I believe it is from all the maneuvers during the physical exam yesterday at the doctors appointment.  I do not seem to be able to determine a consistent pattern of what causes the greatest pain aggravation.  Would you believe that when I saw the doctor yesterday, I had very minimal pain.  Go figure? 

That's it for today.  Be safe and take special care.

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009