Thursday, March 15, 2018

Getting Ready To Smoke - But Not Soon

This is a follow up on a necessary project that I started back in 2015.  If you do not have a good sense of humor about the inevitable, perhaps you should not read any further.  But if you read my  April 2015 blog, you will get a little background.

Last year I was able to have the gravesite foundation completed and since that time even though I had no means of moving forward with the appropriate headstone I have payed attention to various options by searching the internet. Much to my delightful pleasure I have been able to find an idea that sounds appropriate for this somewhat unusual situation involving two people in a "Sunset Love" of a widowed (57 years married) man who has now passed on and a woman (Me) who was referred to as the "love of his life".

For quite some time I have had an idea of what I think would be nice to have inscribed on the headstone.  And, that is - - -The Greatest Gift is Love or Love is the Greatest Gift.  That applies to humans as well as four legged loves.   And this is a photo from google of a couple headstone ideas.
This is very beautiful, especially the stone work but I think this one is a little over the top for me.  But the heart at the top is what got my attention.
And, then I saw this one and I really like the design idea of the open heart.  My phrase (I mentioned above) could easily be at the upper left top and the other side could be the spray of flowers partially framing the heart.  I like the simplicity and I would want it to be tall (because of the location in the cemetery) but a simpler base and not as tall as this photo appears.  Just enough room for inscription of names.

After diligently rearranging my household finances and feeling blessed with good fortune I should be able to contact my cemetery contractor and get started and see what we can come up with that is not inappropriately outrageously expensive but still classy and pretty.

I look forward to providing a proper resting place for the cremains of My-Special-Man, Pixie (my Yorkshire Terrier), Puff (my Tabby cat), Lily (my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel) and someday Me as well as any additional four legged loves.  If you have any suggestions they are most certainly welcome.
The Split Pea Soup with Ham turned out great and it is so easy.  And, it makes the house smell so good.



And, don't forget to add a little splash of sherry.  I learned about adding sherry many years ago when I had lunch at the first built Andersen's Split Pea Soup Restaurant which opened in 1924 in Buellton, Southern California.  They now have a second restaurant in Santa Nella, Northern California.  They were known as Traveler's Restaurants since they are located on main Freeways.  They are full serve restaurants and are nice tourist stops with gift shop, bakery and more.
I vividly remember in the 50's seeing this photo that was used on advertising postcards.        OH, THE NOSTALGIA!
She's got an Eye On You!
And, her eyes are a beautiful blue.
I am so pleased with Ivy.  She is making wonderful progress every day.  Today she started wondering around the house freely. She even ran around in a circle through the living room and kitchen and then settled down in a living room chair.  This is only the fourth day she has been here? I know she feels loved.  Her facial expression changes for the better each day.  It makes my heart happy.
She is beginning to be a Real SweetHeart. 

I know this is a long blog post today.  It will probably be a few days before I am back.

Take Special Care.

Mary

1 comment:

  1. I remember Pea Soup Andersens! We would always visit the one in Mammoth when we stayed with my grandparents in Bishop. There was one here in the San Diego area (Carlsbad) for years. The building with the windmill is still there. I don't know what is in the building now. Your ideas for a memorial seem to reflect your message. And finally-what a sweetie pie kitty. She will be wonderful friend-I can tell already!

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009