Tuesday, March 13, 2018

It's Tuesday Evening

And, it has been raining most of the day.  It is fine with me.  I feel rested from my trip and Ivy has slept most of the day like she usually does.
As recommended by the Cat Rescue I will be scheduling an appointment with the Vet within the first 30 days.  I was provided with lots of documentation about Ivy's care and behavior since taken into Marin Humane Society and Foster Care. She has been examined by their Vet and cleared for adoption.  She has been microchipped and received up to date vaccinations. They only do basic medical examination which means that no blood work has been completed and I think that would be a good thing to do.  Additionally, the Vet notes suggest that a Cat Behaviorist may be a big help.  And, I think Ivy is demonstrating severe depression. Ivy would not let the Vet completely exam her and she was not taken out of her crate because of her hissing and combative behavior.

I did a lot of reading about cat care on the internet today and feel like I learned a lot.  Since Ivy was hiding this morning and did not come out until noon I decided to close all doors to the other rooms so she would have to be near where I am.  She has let me brush her and  I was able to clean her eyes with a wet washcloth.  She cleans herself and walks about and then she sleeps some more.  Oh, she also likes to play chasing a laser light and that was the first time I saw her running about.  She has been sleeping on a living room chair and I like having her nearby.  I think it is a lot better for her and letting her isolate is not beneficial.

This is definitely a special needs cat and that is all right.  I do not think she has ever had much care or attention in her short life.  I am optimistic that with the needed medical diagnostics/care and working with her behavior issues that she will be a much happier cat.  I am thankful that I can help and love this precious little cat so she can have a better life.

I am thinking that tomorrow is a good day for me to make some Split Pea Soup.  I bought some ham shanks at the grocery store that should provide excellent flavor.  And, it is going to rain some more tomorrow.  A good soup day, don't ya think?

Mary


4 comments:

  1. Life is definitely better with a kitty cat in one of your chairs. I noticed our cats always picked the BEST chair to nap on. And knitted afghans are always a cat magnet! I am looking forward to a few pictures of Ivy! She is one lucky girl to have met you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita. Yes, Ivy has already found the chair with a snuggly knitted afghan. She is definitely showing good progress in her attitude toward me and that is good for both of us. Blessings to you.

      Delete
  2. Your split pea soup sounds delicious! It’s one of my favorites. So glad Ivy seems to be opening up some with you. I also agree it’s not a good idea to let her isolate herself. Too easy for her to just exist in and out of the shadows and never bond with you. I’m sure once she learns of the quiet, peaceful, safety she has within your home, her level of interest and trust will grow. Especially if she knows there are fun moments to be had such as laser light chasing and gentle brushings! Love that she’s been curious to look out the windows, too. Hope your rain has stopped and maybe by now you’ve had some beautiful sunshine! Hugs to you and Ivy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet and send me the greatest friendship notes!

      Delete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009