Sunday, July 22, 2018

Dog Days Of Summer

Is it? And, where did the saying come from?

Turns out it is really, really old - going back to Roman Times according to the Internet. "The ancient Romans noticed that the Hottest days of the year, that is, in late July and early August, coincided with the appearance of Sirius - the Dog Star, in the same part of the sky as the Sun.  Sirius is the largest and brightest star (20 times brighter than the sun) seen from Earth in the nights sky."
So, now you know.
Another Daylily has opened and it has a name.

I hope you are enjoying your weekend during these "Dog Days Of Summer".

Mary

1 comment:

  1. Interesting fact, thanks for sharing it. It is hot, hot, hot which puts me in a bit of a foul mood. I think a walk around my yard might just cheer me up some. We both sure do love our flowers!

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009