Tuesday, July 17, 2018

How Ugly Can It Get

"Oh My !"  And, I also said  "What in the world is that feasting on my Daylily  plant ?"  And, I had more questions.    "Where did you come from ?"    "Why are you here ?"    And, what are You ?    You are so ugly !!!

I know very little about insects even though there was a whole chapter on Entomology when I took a Master Gardeners' Course many years ago.   I have never seen the likes of this photographed insect in my garden on July 13, 2018 when this photo was taken by me.  Fortunately, I had my camera in my hand as I was going out to look at possible growth of my tomato plants.
After a little research - - - I think it is a Cicada   (pronounced Chi-Kay-da) !    After reading some of the copious amount of Internet information I am somewhat confused as to why I would see this "elder of the insect world" in MY GARDEN IN CALIFORNIA.    Only 0.2% of all Cicadas are found in North America and most are in the Eastern half of the USA.  There are over 3390 species world wide and they are found on all continents except Antarctica.  

There are generally two types of cicadas. Annual Cicadas emerge every year in late June or August, while Periodical Cicadas emerge in cycles of 13 or 17 years, depending on the species. When Periodical Cicadas emerge, all the adults in a given location emerge at the same.  Tens of thousands to over a million insects can reside in a relatively small area of land.  A group of Periodicals that emerge at the same time is called a Brood. Broods are classified with Roman numerals that represent each group. There are 30 Broods in all. More information about groups of species and Broods which is quite extensive can be found on the Internet.

Female Cicada lay from 200 to 600 eggs total in tiny holes made in trees and shrubs.  Cicada young --- called Nymphs hatch from the eggs and immediately drop to burrow underground, where they attach to tree roots .   The Nymphs remain attached to the roots and suck tree sap for most of their lives .  When the dormant period ends in about 17 years, the Cicada emerges from underground at sunset, guided only by instinct and attaches to a tree or shrub.  At that time the Cicadas skin sheds allowing the Adult Cicada to emerge.

NOTE - While posting this information,  I just remembered that about 2 days before I noticed this gross looking Cicada, I saw a dried hollow insect skin on a Daylily a few feet away from the live
Cicada .  And,  I thought  "I wonder what that is!"  It reminded me of what I knew as a child as a Potato Bug (they have many names) which sheds its skin .  No photo taken that day.

Above ground, male Cicadas fill the air with shrill buzzing sounds (called their song) the result of small drum-like plates on the abdomen that the Cicadas vibrates rapidly.  And, they can be very noisy.  Reportedly, the Cicada makes the loudest sound of any insect.  Their sound can be heard for up to 1/2 mile away and they only sing during the daytime.  While many people find the sound annoying, the male Cicada uses it to attract female Cicadas for mating.  Both male and female Cicadas die after about five weeks above ground.      Oh my,  No.

And, now my question is "What is their purpose ?"  When they emerge for the culmination of their life cycle they mulch and aerate the ground and during their brief time above ground  they provide food for all kinds of birds and small rodents.

Some people confuse Cicadas with Grasshoppers, Crickets and Katydids because they all are relatively large and singing insects.

And, in case you are wondering ?  Cicadas are eaten in various countries including China where the Nymphs are served deep fried in Shandong cuisine.  Thought you might ask ! ! !
Well, I guess that is your science lesson for the week and maybe for all time .  I found it quite fascinating.  I still don't know why they are in my California Garden ! But then, I have had a strong curiosity about most everything throughout my life .  Oh, and I have been known for being quite observant of my surroundings !   That's just who I am !

NOTE - Saw another Cicada empty skin this morning in same area.  No sign of Adult Cicada but I did get a photo .
Hope you are having a Happy Day.

Mary

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting information. I remember being back east, Kentucky or Tennessee, during a 17 year cycle. It was big news. I hope all is going well with you and Miss Ivy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't seem to be able to leave a comment. Hope this works so I can continue leaving comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Success ! Thanks for sharing your personal experience with these mysterious insects. I had never heard of them. There is always more to learn.

    Ivy is doing great. Her latest new activity to to tap my ankle with her little soft paw to get my attention. At first, I didn't know what I was feeling . It is so sweet and I adore her. She is so good for me !

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009