Saturday, July 7, 2018

Hotter Days Ahead And New Plants

The weather report sounds like it is going to be in the high 90's for the next 10 days, at least.


It makes me so sad that every time the California news comes on the TV we are reminded of the horrendous wildfires that are occuring in so many parts of the state.  And, the fires caused by use of fireworks makes me feel very angry.  What are these people thinking ?  Obviously, not much about personal responsibility and danger to others property and life !

The decline of civil responsibility and threat of global warming is a deadly combination.

Time to get off my soapbox !
Yesterday when I was out and about I bought some plants for the front of my garden where I had the mishap of planting Gomphrena 'Fireworks' that did not work out for me.  I did not realize that they were self seeding and not a perennial.  They had the potential of looking great.  But, I do not have much luck with self seeding, maybe because of the terrible soil conditions. This is a little photo from my garden last year before the demise !
So, I surprisingly, found Pennisetum Setaceurn plants that looked vibrant and healthy. And, I was able to buy six plants.  I had never noticed this decorative grass in the past. It is described as an upright showy shrub with colorful strappy leaves with long variegations in cream, green and red and in late summer produces long purple tassels that rise above the foliage. Interesting?
And, it also is called 'Fireworks' !  What are the chances?
 So, I set them in the raised flower bed behind the border of Yellow Stella Oro Daylilies.  I think this might be a winner.
The sun was bright when I took these photos.  Sorry for poor quality.
 Healthy - Huh ?
Do you see the old clay strawberry pot on the left. It is heavy and in all the years I have had it I have not found a settled place for it.  So, I am turning it on it's side and I will plant something that flowers nicely . Maybe, with planted flowers spilling out of it the looks will be interesting.  Trial and error.  That's the way my garden rolls some times.

Hope your Weekend is going Lovingly.

Mary

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of turning your strawberry pot on its side and planting something in it. These fires are so scary. Isn't there one in Amador?

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009