Sunday, July 15, 2018

Getting Ready To Make Basil Pesto

Little did I know when I planted tomato plants and basil plants close together that I would be reading about the benefits of planting the two different plants side by side.  This is what I read.
Planted 6-12-2018
"Planting basil next to tomatoes, not only wards off tomato worms, somehow planting the two together actually makes the tomatoes taste better!" 
Look at how much these tomato plants have grown in just one month !   The HOT HOT weather has certainly aided in this rapid growth.  More importantly,  there also are REAL TOMATOES starting to show up.    Happy-Happy-Happy !
Tomatoes next to basil !
Fresh Basil Pesto is so easy to make.  It only takes five ingredients plus salt and pepper.  Fresh basil leaves, grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese, virgin olive oil, pine nuts and garlic cloves.   

Preservation by freezing or canning takes a little more work and variation in the recipe prep.  Of course, freshly prepared is great and can be used on pasta, baked potatoes, crackers and even toast.

I have to buy the pine nuts and then I am ready to get out the food processor.  I don't have a gifting source of pine nuts like a blog friend of mine !

It's going to be another HOT HOT day in these mountain foothills !  Have a Great Sunday.

Mary

1 comment:

  1. Oh-having cousins who like to shake Pinon Pines is the best!!! I used up my stash of pine nuts and am hoping for another batch this winter. My dad eats his share straight out of the box. Your basil and tomatoes look very healthy. My basil is bolting very quickly this year for some reason. Try to keep in the shade and drink lots of fluids!!

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009