Monday, November 2, 2020

Doing Minute To Minute Battle

Pain centers in three different locations at the same time in the body is a continual challenge whatever your age .  My back pain is a very familiar pain even with it's variations from day to day . Some days more intense with radiation into my left buttock and thigh . And , on a good day I almost forget about it even though it has been with me over twenty five years .  Yes , it has worsened as age has a way of "wear and tear" on the bony structures that cause pressure on various nerve routes that cause pain .  In my experience , keeping my muscles fluid by keepin' a movin' helps me to avoid "folding up my tent" .  It ain't easy on many days but have to keep pushing on . Unfortunately , my scoliosis is causing more and more curvature toward the left causing more pressure points of pain . 

And, now the added huge annoyance of having my old knees hollering for attention !  I think the left knee is a tag-along of the right knee even though the x-rays show both knees as "bone on bone" as the cartilage has worn away and the synovial membrane which releases a lubricating fluid which reduces friction in a healthy knee is absent .The left knee is troublesome in that it hurts sometimes and feels unstable when I am walking sometimes .

 But , the right knee is a whole different story for me . The severe pain at night time is unrelenting and it makes me want to call out with sounds of pain .  Even with elevation and ice packs it seldom calms down . I have no idea why it is so bad at night .  And , it doesn't seem to make a difference in respect to my daytime activity . One thing that is new that I have tried at night is to massage behind my knee with Charotte's Web Hemp Infused balm.  So far it has been helping somewhat .  And , it at least helps me to get some sleep . Of course when the knees hurt it kicks up the back pain because my posture is less than good when I am trying to get around with a cane and avoid falling .  It surprises me how much I can do with the help of the cane .  I can water my garden and also do some simple activities .  I have chairs around the garden so I can sit if I desire while doing the hand watering .  Additionally I can get around the kitchen quite well . Of course I must pace myself and be mindful of possibly overdoing it .

Corticosteroid injections into the knee are sometimes given to try to reduce the inflammation and relieve pain but if they are administered , there is at least a six month waiting period before surgery can be performed . So , it really wasn't an option as far as the doctor was concerned .

One thing that really puzzles me is why they will not order some strong pains pills when my blood pressure has been very high . Last time in the doctor's office it was in the range of' 174/110 range !! The primary M.D. says to his assistant  'that's because she is in pain" when she asks if she should take it again .  With 25 plus years of pain and absolutely no issues with overuse of medication - - - I wonder if they are trying to kill me !  Not really , but I think I should call and beg if I have to and explain my concern !!!!!  It would be nice to avoid a heart attack .  Another month more of this before surgery may be more than I can take. I understand I will get pain pills after surgery . Tomorrow , I start to see the Physical Therapist . However , I have already started gently following the instructions already given to me .

Yesterday I managed to go to the Post Office to pick up mail , go to the drive through car wash , get gas at the drive through gas station , took trash to the dump and go grocery shopping . Each step planned out like going from A to Z in a straight line and no backtracking .  Somebody gotta do it .  I was ready to hit the couch.

Well folks , even though I don't like to talk about pain , I can either talk about my Physical Pain or the Elections .  They BOTH are very painful ! 

Just trying to stay upright !  Beats the alternative !

 
Until Next Time .

Mary

5 comments:

  1. You sound so much like me. My nights are getting worse and I cry out in pain without knowing it sometimes. I am holding out til January to have knee injections and than later in the spring have my tkr on both knees. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are in my prayers and thoughts dear friend Mary. Even though my shoulder can in no way compare to your knees I understand completely about the pain being worse at night. And I wonder why that is as well. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for the discomfort and pain you endure daily. You are a strong woman, that's for certain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry you are having so much pain - I had major surgery this year and a lot of pain but the Doctors withheld any type of strong pain meds (really ridiculous) - so I just doubled the dose myself - I had to in order to get any type of relief from the pain - I understand the need to monitor narcotics but they do have a place - can't we have a middle of the road - we are not all addicts .. pain is dangerous to our health - we don't sleep - high blood pressure and a lot of stress on our bodies - we can't heel without sleep and stress and high blood pressure will kill us - My neighbor was taking the injections - did nothing for her - she recently had knee replacement and is doing really well - she's 80 years old and wishes she would have done it a year ago - she had so much pain before surgery - and now very little pain and is walking better everyday.. I'll pray you get some relief - take care and stay safe.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your concern and prayers. I agree with everything you say. The doctors have not ordered any medication so I do not have any to double. Thanks for the info about your neighbor - and again your concern and well wishes.

      Delete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009