Friday, November 6, 2015

I Really Miss My IRIS FLOWERBED

As you know gardens don't usually just happen by themselves. There is planning, planting, dividing, thinning, trimming spent blooms, weeding, watering, fertilizing - - - and the beat goes on! Also, a lot of sunshine (at least six hours) is necessary for optimum Iris blooms. Unfortunately, as the large trees in my garden have grown taller and taller, the sunshine diminishes. Good drainage is also very important. The topsoil is almost non existent. So the rhizomes are just sitting on rock and clay. The newest rhizomes need to be saved and planted near the surface in healthy soil. I came across this sentence and think it is a good thing to remember. "Transplant them to places where they will have wet feet but dry knees."

This is how the iris look at this time.
Total neglect! No care - No blooms! Sad.
In time past the Iris Garden was a riot of color. Each of the flowers in my mosaic are from my own garden. Do you see how my little doggie, Lily, snuck in the photos? 
All of the Iris were bought or gifted and planted by me shortly after I moved here in 1993. This is a link to a post that I blogged in 2009 about my Beautiful Iris.

I located a photo of a corner of the Iris garden from years ago. Aren't they gorgeous?
I hope you enjoyed my little trip down memory lane. Hopefully, I can make the Iris Garden look like this again!

Take Good Care of Yourself.

Mary

2 comments:

  1. Oh I lust after all of your Iris's!!! What a stunning mosaic, and that photo from your garden is awesome! My mom, in Portland, OR, used to have a huge bed of the purple bearded Iris's... some years they took over, and other years hardly bloomed. I don't know what caused that waxing and waning. She also had yellow ones. Your peach ones are gorgeous... I don't think I've ever seen a peach Iris, especially that one with the darker beards.... and oh the white one! I hope you will be able to revive the beds to have such splendid beauty again! I'm hoping to put some Iris in my back raised rock flower bed.. and I should be planting the bulbs right now.. but don't know if it'll get done this year! Darn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully with the upcoming El Nino bringing an end to our drought (if you say it enough it WILL happen!) your Iris gardens will be blooming again next year. From what I understand, Iris are very forgiving plants. You have such beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009