Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Lily Went To The Doctor


In July 2014, Lily was diagnosed with Congestive Heart Disease. It is not unusual for Cavaliers to have difficulties with inherited cardiac mitral valve disease. As our Vet says, "Cavaliers are the 'poster children' for heart murmurs."  A slight heart murmur was detected a few years ago and Lily has been regularly monitored. Through the years she has had a cough that was more annoying than anything else.

Lily is 10 years old , born November 13, 2005 - recent Birthday! At birth she was 4 inches long and weighed only 4 ounces! We have been blessed with a very healthy and wonderful pet until recently. At the time of her diagnosis she was experiencing multiple symptoms which included shortness of breath and rapid heart rate and respirations. At that time I was faced with potentially very high future veterinary bills and I knew my budget would never be able to stretch thin enough to handle hundreds of dollars of veterinary bills. My Special Friend (passed away December 2014) was with me and insisted that Lily receive treatment and he would take care of the expenses. What a Blessing. Lily has responded well to her treatment and the Vet has been wonderful by keeping the high dollar diagnostic studies at a minimum. In addition since May of this year her care has been managed with very regular telephone contacts from the Vet and medication (which are very very expensive) adjustments have been made based on symptomatology.

We had come to the point where I felt that it was time to get a current medical status. I chose to "bite the bullet" so to speak and  go forward with X-rays and Lab Studies, etc. She is in excellent health except for her very enlarged heart and persistent intensified cough and gag. Otherwise, her behaviors have all been normal. She even plays with her toys every day. She seems to be a very Happy Little Love Bug. The long and short of the story is $617.00.

My plan is to go day by day but no more high dollar care. Reportedly, her life expectancy is 12 years. I think she has had a good life and the day will come for Goodbye. WOW, it is horrible to even think that.
Now it is time to go play with Lily and smother her with lots of hugs and kisses!

Love Your Pets - - - and Your People!

Mary

1 comment:

  1. Lily is so adorable! I'm so glad she's doing well, and is still a happy little love bug. I have several fur babies, but one little man just makes my heart melt ~ my 6, soon to be 7 year old Cock-a-poo named Romeo! We just love each other to pieces... ♥

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009