Thursday, June 14, 2018

A Little Late To The Party

But, I am so happy that I was able to plant some tomatoes and basil before it would be to late.  Actually, this may be better than earlier because the sun will be hotter and longer each day.  I don't think there is anything close to 6 hours a day of which is usually recommended.  But, I am optimistic.  In some years past I have been able to grow really nice tomatoes.
There are four different tomato plants and two Sweet Basil.

  • Cherokee Purple - Heirloom
  • Bonnie Original - Our Favorite Tomato
  • Phoenix - Heat Tolerant Hybrid Tomato
  • Early Girl - 50 days Hybrid Tomato 
I think this is the first time I have bought Bonnie Plants.  I was at Walmart (which is a rare event) when I spotted these plants that looked surprisingly healthy compared to most of the  plants on a very hot day.

They are growing fast, like one to two inches a day.
I have not made pesto in a couple years.  I sure hope I can preserve some basil this year.
This beauty jumped into my shopping cart yesterday when I was in the local Ace Hardware Nursery.
I quickly placed it in the veggie planter at home to be safe from falling over because it is top heavy.  Not sure where they will settle.  Amazingly, there are four different plants in the one pot. I love, love, love Sunflowers.  They remind me of cool lemon sherbet.
And, now just a couple newly opened flower photos.  Can you see all the rock throughout the property.  I am surprised that I can get anything to grow.  I wish I had more top soil of some sort.  I try to use planter mix with any new plants.  Unfortunately, I am not very good at regular fertilizing. In fact I haven't fertilized even once this year.  Always too much to do like watering at least 1 1/2 hours each day. And, longer on the hot days.  Ninety degrees is forecast for today !

While I was out in the garden taking some of these photos I almost jumped out of my skin again when this little creature was laying in the sun where my next step was about to be placed on the ground.  Just out in the open, not in a hiding place!  About 12 inches long.  Look how he blends with the ground surface.
From a beauty standpoint.  He (or she) has got it all.  The last time I saw him he was at the base of a plant and his colors were like an iridescent green in his stripping. Quite stunning.  Wonders of Nature!

I am working on my computer/blog trying to repair and refine some issues.  Please notify me if you come across anything of concern that would be of help to me. 

Sweet Ivy is doing Super.  She is becoming quite a love bug - but on her terms !
Wishing you a Grand Day.

Mary

3 comments:

  1. What are the "issues," which you have been having, with your blog?

    Perhaps knowing what they are, could help someone, to help you....?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment about Paris. We are excited and hopefully we will be safe and I will stay healthy. Au revoir!
    Joyously,
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would have jumped at the sight of that creature as well! Good luck with your tomatoes. We don't grow them because I do not care for raw tomatoes. I DO grow basil though and we feast on pesto all summer long. My cousins send me Pinon pine nuts from the eastern side of the Sierras each Christmas and they add so much flavor to the pesto. I love the sunflowers! We grew some several years ago, but the finches attacked the plants, ripping up the leaves and flowers. Try to stay cool!!

    ReplyDelete

.

White Garden 2009

White Garden 2009
IN MY GARDEN there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The Thoughts grow as freely as the flowers and the dreams are as beautiful. - Abram Urban

Iris Flowers 2009

Iris Flowers  2009
In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels. ~Dodinsky

Pink Flowers 2009

Pink Flowers  2009

Yellow Flowers 2009

Yellow Flowers  2009